Yaesu ft70dr purchase

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WB4EYE, Dec 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. WB4EYE

WB4EYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all and Happy New Year,

I’m a phone call away from buying a yaesu ft70dr. Yes, we have the quirkiness that some radios, HT or others have, ie hold button to change volume, the hoop jump to set up programming, etc. I can live with that especially considering the price point of this radio.

However, in my research I’m finding many negative views on the battery life. Now I’m using a kenwood Thf6a which I love., ( yeah I know small buttons).

I would hate to have a radio that gives me 2h of runtime.

I’d like to hear your opinions.
    Ps.. I don’t want a d star or dmr radio.

Tnx and 73,
    Mark WB4EYE

2. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Ive got the FT70 (as well as the FT2DR). Yes, the battery life isn't great but I haven't found it to be a problem. But I typically run it at the lowest power setting since I use it mostly for digital stuff with my personal node and Openspot. The volume thing does't really bother me and I use the RT Systems software to program it so that's a non-issue as well. My recommendation would be that if you're planning on diving into the Fusion stuff and won't be running high power all the time then go for it since the pricing is very attractive. If you plan on staying analog and need more battery life than look elsewhere. I personally like the radio (like the FT2DR more) but I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

3. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mark, I've found the quality of batteries all over the map in recent years. My new TH-D74's battery last year was garbage. I replaced it with an eBay battery that outperformed the OEM by a longshot. In fact, I've noticed some of the eBay supplier aftermarket batteries doing better than OEM on several of my rigs. This is just my recent, personal experience.

4. WB4EYE

WB4EYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Appreciate the replies since I’m new to ysf.
    Sounds like using the repeater 15 miles from me ,a no go since I have to use high power.
    I guess I’ll have to purchase a zumspot where I can lower the power.
    BTW, on ysf , is one able to talk globally or mostly US?
    So now, I’m up to $250.....and when available a better battery for at least $40-50.
    Is $300 reasonable to get into entry level ysf?

I welcome all comments.
    Tnx,
    Mark

5. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether using WIRES-X directly or backdoor into the Fusion System via OpenSpot, Nanospot, etc. there are rooms that can be accessed all over the world. While some rooms are more popular than others you can pick and choose whether you want to contact other hams in the states or abroad.

6. N9JOW

N9JOW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just purchased an FT-70DR 12/31 and received it Friday. I also was "worried" about the battery life but so far this weekend I have watched it and there is a 6 hour life to half depleted battery ( as measured by the battery icon only). From full charge at high power I was able to ragchew in digital mode for a little over an hour and this also depleted the battery to 1/2 way.

Used the supplied charger SAD-18B 10.5v @ 1.oA and fully charged the battery in 2.5 hours from half depleted. It took 5 hours from almost completely depleted out of the box. The rapid charger may be my next purchase.

So did you buy it ?