ad: hrd-2

Yaesu FT70D external power?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M0KED, Oct 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. M0KED

M0KED Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all, I've recently bought an FT 70D handheld, the supplied charger outputs around 10.5v, I've looked closely at pictures of the 'cigar lighter' adapter, and that outputs 12v, also available for the radio is an unterminated power lead the same as supplied with the FT 817, which I suppose is for connecting to a 13.8v PSU. That's my question, has anyone connected a Yaesu handhed directly to 13.8v? I can't find any information in either brief or advanced instruction manuals. Thanks for any help........ M0KED.

2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the specifications in the manual, page 39, the External DC Jack will power the radio safely from 11 - 16 VDC. You should have no problem connecting to a 13.8VDC source.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW
    Operating Manual - FT-70DR  Page 39.jpg

M0KED likes this.
  3. M0KED

M0KED Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your reply David, I didn't think to look at the specs, I'd been searching the rest of the manual! Great news, I can use my FT817 cable to power the radio in the shack.

73 from Lincoln, U.K......... M0KED.

N2PQW likes this.
  4. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased the external DC cable from Yaesu for the FT70D. I have it connected to the Astron power supply that supplies all DC power to the shack. I works just fine.

M0KED likes this.