ad: Amateur-1

Yaesu FT60R

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N1BWK, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W9MAV

W9MAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think everyone is right now!

That is why I am buying all of my ham equipment now so when I am a "responsible adult" I will have toys!

Dave

2. KD7UPQ

KD7UPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Diamond SRH77CA on mine... excellent antenna... the FT-60r is my first radio also... works great for a handheld

3. N1SQB

N1SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here You Go!

"Has anyone got any info on the Yaesu FT60R HT. I am thinking of buying one for my first radio. Any ideas??
    Thanks

KB1QNU
    Bruced"

You will find all you need to know on the FT-60R right here. There is no better review than that from actual owners.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4286

I love my FT-60. I am going to get a second one actualy for my wife who is also a Ham. By the way, If anyone is thinking of getting a second back up battery ( A must these days) I recommend this one.

http://www.batteriesamerica.com/yaesu-vertex.htm

The factory battery is 7.2 V @ 1400 Mah. This one is 7.2V 2500 Mah. Works great too. I like this battery so much and it works so well, I use my stock battery as back up and this one has become my principal one. The price is great too. Try looking at the price for an OEM battery. OUCH!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

A friend of mine has an FT-60 and has had to ship it back to Yaesu to replace the battery. He's had the radio for less than a year. Other than that, he loves it.

5. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-60 is a good radio but you will want to consider what you will be using it for. If you plan to work satellites at all or have other planned activities that require dual receive this is not the radio for you.

Other than that if you use the software and cable to program it please remember to put the short pig tail adapter on the cable, trust me it is important. Without it you will turn the radio on and hear a small pop inside after which you will have zero receive audio. I have seen this happen to one although I could swear I have forgotten the pig tail once or twice without problems other than having to put it on to get the software to find the radio but still a better safe than sorry deal.

I do recommend an after market antenna. I use the Diamond SRH77CA which tremendously out performs the stock antenna. And yes you are lucky I had the vinyl sleeve from the antenna handy or you would not have gotten the model number. :D

6. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Dare to dream. I looked at things the same way. I bought everything before I got married. I have been updating and upgrading ever since. It really got expensive when the wife took a couple of classes at the college and found out what a computer and the internet were. Now when it's time to upgrade to a new computer I have to alternate, one year is mine and the next is hers.

7. KF4BOG

KF4BOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu FT60R in Huntsville Al.

Hello All. I just got the new Yaesu FT60R . at the Local Hamfest here in Huntsville Al. And i have to say wow what a good radio. It was a good replacement for the Yaesu FT50R that i had and that is now a brick and no longer works . The only problems are with the hand held mic's . They will makes the radio key up the repeater . don't use them . just use the PTT the is in the Radio. I would get this radio before they stop making it .

get in the car and Go Go Go.:):):):)

8. K0BKL

K0BKL Guest

FT60R receiver problem

I had mine for only a day when I had a receiver problem with it,
    could barely hear the nearest repeater. I have sent it back to the dealer, still waiting to hear what they have found.

9. KD0FX

KD0FX Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked one up a couple weeks ago. Solid so far, seems like a good bargin.

Whoops, looks like the thread is from a year ago :p

10. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out this review (bottom page): not the best, but good value for money. Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.