[yaesu ft60] unable to transmit on 70 cm

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI6BJK, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KI6BJK

KI6BJK Ham Member QRZ Page

All,
    i am able to transmit on 2 m band but not on 70 cm band using my ft60. i double checked to make sure that the PL / Shift etc are set correctly.

these are the win system repeaters i am trying to transmit to

San Francisco CA K6KYA 444.850 (+) 114.8 Great Bay Area / East Bay coverage 8730

San Jose CA WR6ABD 442.900 (+) 162.2 SFO Bay area, Santa Cruz, 3,380' 3421

i am able to hear other hams rag chewing at all times on both of these repeaters . i tried from two different locations - sunnyvale and fremont without any luck . i tried with my rubber duck as well as a MFJ mag mount antenna

any tips/suggestions would be great

-thanks

2. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean your radio isn't transmitting ( no RF output) or do you mean you are unable to bring up a repeater..

3. KI6BJK

raio isn't transmitting

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

How is it that you are sure that it is not transmitting?
    More info on just what you have tried to do is needed.

5. KI6BJK

i am sure that i am not transmitting because i start off with
    - my call sign and ask folks already on the net to acknowledge if they are able to hear me. i get no response back even though there are like 5-6 people on the repeater. in fact i could hear what they are saying
    - the same happens on multiple repeaters on 70 cm band

San Francisco CA K6KYA 444.850 (+) 114.8 Great Bay Area / East Bay coverage 8730

San Jose CA WR6ABD 442.900 (+) 162.2 SFO Bay area, Santa Cruz, 3,380' 3421

Also i double checked my PL/Shift etc

6. KD8GFC

KD8GFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because you can hear the repeater does NOT mean you are keying the repeater. Use another reciever and go to a simplex 70 cm freq and see if you can here yourself.

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

That can happen a lot. It is not uncommon for a repeater to be heard over a much larger area than you can get to it with. There are also some dead spots for bringing them up sometimes. Even with a mag mount antenna, a handheld may be pretty limited.
    I'd try to get together with another ham and see what the two of you can figure out.

8. KI6ZIF

KI6ZIF Ham Member QRZ Page

I can assure you either your radio has an issue, or you don't have it configured correctly.

I have hit the 442.900 repeater from Stockton CA with 6 watts. So even if your local to it, and on low power (1/2 to 1 watt) you should hit it well.

Now the 444.850 repeater, it can be a bit more tricky due to it's location. So I'm not too surprised on that one being an issue with a HT.

If you have any questions, let me know.

9. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Two meters is OK, right?

70 cm you don't appear to be transmitting. Correct?

You need to be sure of the offset, and you say you are. You also need to be sure of the tones, and you say you are.

You also should be sure the power output level is at maximum for 70 cm.

The best way, then, is to have someone listen to you on 70 cm simplex. 443.000 mhz. Someone close by. If it turns out you are NOT transmitting, then you need to explore deeper to find out why.

If you ARE transmitting, then you need to check again the tones, offset and power level. If that doesn't work, do a total reset of the radio, and start from scratch. The manual will tell you how to do that.

Good luck
    ed

10. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to hit the K6KYA SF repeater easily with my FT-60 when I visited with the YL 2 years ago. That was from Chinatown on low power with a rubber duck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.