Yaesu FT450D no audio on data port

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by YO2MKL, Jan 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. YO2MKL

YO2MKL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I'm trying to work digi modes but, as I said in title, my FT450D doesn't output or input anything to the data port. I use the home made interface. Look like the port is disabled.
    Help please

2. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you switch the mode to data?

K3XR likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, there is always audio on the "Data" port, the 6-pin mini-DIN socket, regardless of the mode. However, the data mode turns off the mic port and sets the radio to accept audio in from the rear port.

4. YO2MKL

yes I change mode to data ( data USB and data lsb) and I try with "interface" from picture but still no joy.... Screenshot_20210112-154547_Chrome.jpg

5. N5JLD

N5JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you said you made the interface, I will ask - "could the plug be mirrored?". On your drawing is that the Plug or Socket side?

Just thinking out loud.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM
  6. YO2MKL

to tell the truth i don't know exactly what is in the drawing, so I tried and mirror version .....no joy

7. KF5FEI

If you used a PS/2 mouse or keyboard cable, it may be that not all the wires go through as expected. We used mouse / keyboard extension cables, which had all the pins connected straight thru.

WA9UAA likes this.
  8. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

This possibly could be computer related, not radio related. What software are you using? You'll need WSJT-X for FT-8. FLDigi for the other modes, although there are others. Either way, you need to configure the software to recognize the signal from the rig. If your interface is plugged into the mic and speaker jacks on your computer, you need to "point" the software to those ports.

9. KF5FEI

PC mic inputs may also have a phantom voltage to power an electret mic element, so you would need a ~2.2 uF blocking cap in series to keep the DC out of the radio.

Not to mention that some PC audio chipsets try to detect what is plugged in and may do weird things if they can't figure it out. A cheap USB sound card dongle is probably the best thing to work with.