Yaesu FT450D and 60M memories for USB

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N5RFI, Jul 25, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N5RFI

N5RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an FT450D that has the newest firmware 0227. When I select the factory programmed memory channels for the 60M band I get the following frequencies:
    Channel 1: 5332.0 kHz
    Channel 2: 5348.0 kHz
    Channel 3: 5358.5 kHz
    Channel 4: 5373.0 kHz
    Channel 5: 5405.0 kHz

When I select CW or USB mode they do not change yet according to the FCC and ARRL my USB signal should be centered on those frequencies so my dial should read:
    Channel 1: 5330.5 kHz
    Channel 2: 5346.5 kHz
    Channel 3: 5357.0 kHz
    Channel 4: 5371.5 kHz
    Channel 5: 5403.5 kHz

Is there an issue with my radio, or a bug in the firmware? or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Michael
    N5RFI

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Your radio is backwards ? , for CW channel 1 should transmit on 5332.0 etc SSB should be on surpressed carrier freq of 5330.5 !
    I programmed my memories on my TS440s and FT990 for the ten 60M freq and mode combinations and everything works fine.

3. N5RFI

Yes, it appears to be wrong. Unfortunately the FT450D will not transmit in the 60M band except for the Factory Pre-programmed Memories ( memory tuning will not function).

I guess I would like to know if everyone else with an FT450D has the same issue? Is there any way to correct it?

I have written to Yaesu about this issue and am waiting to hear back.

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems quite unusual to have facory preprogrammed memories unless the radio is for GMRS/FRS or commercial marine or aero band use !?!?!o_O

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an FT 987D and Yaesu did not provide a way to update the 60 meter menory slots. BUT.....chirp did let me make the change. Run Chirp and see if it addresses the FT 450D.
    If it does, you are set.
    Barry

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  6. N5RFI

Thanks Barry,

I will check that out. Did you have the same issue with your radio? I was able to speak to Yaesu today and they were useless. He essential said that if Yaesu did it that way it must be right, LOL.

Michael

7. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I made the update when the two frequencies were changed on the 60 meter band. We lost two but gained two new ones. I did not check the readouts in different modes, I just updated what I had.
    I can't answer for Yaeus's responce but it's a shame they do not offer a way to correct this issue. I guess they want you to do the MARS mod and that's wrong approach.
    Barry

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't you program 60M freq s you need into a regular memory slot ?

9. WA4YUR

WA4YUR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can but the radio will not transmit on them. I called yeasu about this and they basicly gave me the middle finger up on this. I will NEVER buy another YEASU product As long as I live and I strongly urge others to do the same. DO NOT BUY A FTDX3000 they have wrong 60meter SSB frequencys in the memory's and you can not change them and yeasu will not change them or even admit they are wrong. Customer service will not do anything about it eather. If you have one only thing to do is dump the radio at a cheep price and never buy another yeasu ANYTHING or don' t use 60 meters at all if you keep it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  10. WA4YUR

WA4YUR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can program 60 meter frequencys into a regular memory but the radio will not transmitt on them.