ad: hrd-2

Yaesu FT450 1/2 of the display is very dim?

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KI5NBN, Mar 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KI5NBN

KI5NBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been offered a Yaesu FT450 as my first base station radio and the local seller says 1/2 of the display is very dim / out. The radio works as normal otherwise and it is still hooked up and I am welcome to use the radio before buying it. The price is very fair.
    I know nothing about the possible cause of the display loosing 1/2 of it illumination. Can this be just a bad LED ( or bank on LED's) or is the problem much worse as in the whole display needs to be replaced?
    Rob
    KI5NBN

2. W1NB

W1NB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rob, I would suspect you’re on the right track with the LEDs. Keep in mind, though, that the LEDs are SMDs not bulb style components so replacing them will be challenging if you don’t have the correct tools and some experience replacing SMDs.

Fully operational non-D FT-450s seem to be selling for about $400 to $450, a little higher for units that have the AT installed. Keep that in mind when considering the price of the radio.