Yaesu FT3DR review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KM6LYW, Sep 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. AE4CH

AE4CH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I own this radio. I would not buy it again.

I use menu-driven police radios. They are far more intuitive than Yaesu. I can change channel groups with a couple of physical button presses. I can see what I am doing on a sharp screen. I can see the screen while I am touching a BUTTON. I don’t have this luxury on the FT3DR.

The coaxial top knob is just wrong. I need both volume and frequency control where I can reach them. The slim outer knob that is volume normally cannot be accessed in the dark, or with the optional vinyl case in place. Our police radios and our church security radios have two knobs. This is the correct number.

The menus are labeled with cryptic letters. What the heck is “F MW?” All I know is that I have to press it.

Once in a menu, more cryptic letters. And, memorizing layer after layer of functions within a menu is challenging for a young mind. I am not young.

Four buttons on the side with the PTT? Really? How about PTT alone?

I printed out all the product manuals. There were so many PDF I created a one-inch thick binder with double-sided printing. I have to RTFM?

C4FM works intermittently. I have one “band” set for repeaters that reputedly are C4FM around here. The number of C4FM connections I have made? Well, let’s say I can keep my shoes on and still count that high.

What I wanted was high quality, Japanese design, Japanese manufacturer, and excellent 2m / 70cm utility. I think I got two out of three.

2. OK7SE

OK7SE Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget that C4FM also transfers data, not only voice. Thus, if someone accesses Wires-X or downloads/uploads pictures, messages, etc., you of course will see RF signal, but you won't hear anyone speaking. The same applies to DMR/D-STAR!