Yaesu FT3D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N3VEZ, Apr 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N3VEZ

N3VEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So my two HT’s are getting very old. One 15 years, one is 20, and the displays are getting a little dim. This HT caught my eye in the latest QST review. I’m going to use it basically as a rig to reach local repeaters, but the display is very readable. It isn’t real hard for the old man to program although an RT systems programmer is in my near future.
    I read some reviews where the user complained about the audio, but maybe Yaesu read the comments and made improvements.
    I like it and will carry it every day. I probably won’t need most of its features but recommend it if you don’t mind the price.

Bill

2. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually ignore most of the "reviews" as very few, if any, pertain to what I am looking for. It seems most every radio has good and bad features. For example, the "reviews complaining about receive (and maybe transmit) audio quality of the FT-3DR. I am a month into owning one, and have received great audio reports using FM and C4FM. The receive audio seems OK to me, and is even better if I "burp" the radio by opening one of the rubber covers, even if briefly. This is a very water resistant transceiver, so the rubber covers are keeping water out (as well as the unintended side effect of restricting air movement).

Other reviews discourage the RT software and cable, claiming it is "pricey", "spendy", and other clichés. My experience is the software and cable are a bargain. I copied data from my ID-51A into my FT-3DR in very few (i.e., 2-3) minutes. I then manipulated a few other fields, adding C4FM and removing D-STAR entries (which came up as the default FM), which required a few more minutes.

Receiver performance is pretty good for a hand held radio; as for transmitting, it works as it should (for a hand held radio). The menu system is typical Yaesu... not a bad thing, once accustomed to it. Battery life is quite good; I purchased the rapid charger and a spare battery with the radio. The color display is quite easy to read, although any color display may become slightly less visible in bright ambient lighting.

While I do not use and carry it every day, I have been bringing it along to various places, mostly to see how well it works, and in general, like it. The price is more than that of the cheapies, but it certainly does a lot more (and appears to be built better than) the cheapies.

PD0JBV likes this.
  3. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Reviews are always colored, so is mine. But what i can tell about this little swiss tool is that is works great. The build in speaker is small, so the sound is. But u can connect everything u want to make it sound like a big event. It has AM band and SW band RX on board as well, great for BCL and SWL on a go. I have never seen a HT like this before. Some bells and wisthles are switched off because i dont use them, thats a personal choice. Digital is fun, but Fusion is not D-star or DMR. APRS is a great benefit for tracking, this version works great, FT2D was a bit flimsy in that. These are my 2 cents in this case dear OM. It is an expensive device but with that money spent you have a whole well build shack in tha pocket (TX ofcourse only on VHF + UHF). Take care and 73 from the Netherlands.

4. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is only one issue known: a missing RF capacitor which makes the sound a bit raw when the display dimmer is active. This was a failure in the first batch, now all new versions are free of this issue. In the Netherlands this is fixed under warranty so i guess this will be done too in the US. In august i am in Texas again and will buy the US version of the FT3D, i need the 146-148 MHz part of 2-meter which we miss in the EU. Maybe we talk about this later via some repeaters. 73' Bernard.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  5. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Far more than horrible sound has been reported. OP needs to search previous threads to find out whats on users mind.

Hoping they read these threads and made improvements is not a good buying strategy. Call them and find out, I bet the answer will sound like a politician.