Yaesu FT3D "prolific USB-to-serial" issue

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6APG, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N6APG

N6APG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have anyone find a good easy solution for the above?

It is beyond frustrating that we pay top dollar for a well known brand and they ship it with cheap chinese usb cables.

I have done all I found so far, and nothings seems to work, I followed the driver installation manual at the end of this Yaesu FT3D page, and still nothing, the pc would not recognize the cable.

I am out of ideas , any help please?

Alonso
    N6APG

2. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the exact problem and error message you are getting? If you are using the latest drivers Yaesu provides it should work. Now there are exceptions with Prolific, I have a cable from a Chinese radio that requires you to roll back to a 2006 driver as the modern one doesn't support the hardware.

3. WA0YDE

WA0YDE Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if this is related to your situation, but a few years ago there was a big problem regarding fake prolific chips. Do a search for "fake prolific usb to serial driver" and read all about it. I hope you get it solved.

4. KA3TJI

If he goes into Device Manager he should see an error if there is one. I don't think Yaesu would bundle a counterfeit cable.

5. KA3TJI

I just want to add, the drivers on Yaesu's site are for the SCU-19 cable, which is optional. The cable that comes with the radio, I believe, is just a standard USB cable and doesn't require a driver. We will need more information from the OP before making any more assumptions.

6. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're trying to program the radio, skip the cable and use a MicroSD card. It's much easier and doesn't require driver installation. I don't use cables on any of my Fusion radios.

KA3TJI likes this.
  7. KA3TJI

Best advice! That's the way I do it with RTsystems software.

8. WA0CBW

WA0CBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well.......
    The cable that ships with the radio is NOT a programing cable. It is for updating the radio firmware only.

As was mentioned it is much simpler to use the SD card to transfer programing from the computer to the radio.
    BB

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems like the best way to fix the problem is to use a external USB hub, That can negotiate USB 2 devices better than the hub in the computer.

If Microsoft gives a blessing to the external hub, Its children are blessed. :rolleyes:

10. N6APG

N6APG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you all!!

After much digging, screaming, crying and frustration, last night I found what others have been saying here, the provided usb cable is just a generic usb and not a programming usb cable.... go figure that... anyways, after some more reading I found that I could just load the microSD with all the repeaters and channels I want, and that would just work the same as with the programming USB cable. Thank you RT Systems, but you are not getting $30 bucks from me for a usb cable.o_O