Yaesu FT2DR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by OE3JJS, Jul 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got an update fromTech Support:
    "The fix is on its way from Japan. When it is available, it will be posted on the FT-2DR FILES page at www.yaesu.com"

2. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've been beating up my FT-2D ever since they introduced it - great little radio.

Yeah - the GPS receiver is crap, I think as a result of the weird GPS antenna placement. The "blinking satellite" drives me crazy.

On the flip side - the camera mic is awesome. But as a 5W dual band handheld w/ APRS & C4FM that works great with Wires-X - I don't think you can beat it.

Definitely part of that Yaesu love-hate relationship with me. ;)

KA2CZU likes this.
  3. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

I just did all the updates on mine and it went very smooth. The procedure definitely seemed way over complicated and I would think Yaesu would have come up with a better way. I did my FTM-100 and that was equally complicated.

4. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I reinstalled the driver and was able to program via the SD card. They might have fixed the driver but it is working good now.

5. KD2AZI

KD2AZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Resurrecting an old thread here - happy owner of a new FT2D. I've been over the settings a bunch of times, read the special APRS manual and still can't trigger packet transmition either manually or automatically. Trying manually I get the beep-beep tone.
    I compared all of the APRS and Config settings to a buddies FT2D side-by-side. Manually his can send packets and I can recieve his call sign and location data.

I have a GPS lock, PTT is Not locked, using B VFO, 1200 baud etc. His FT2D picks up my signal when I PTT.

Still no APRS packets. Stumped. I'll give it a rest for a day then come back to it.

6. KA3MSR

KA3MSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a mobile charging cable for my FT2d and it worked for about 2 weeks. Now when I plug it in the screen goes blank and it doesn't charge. The same thing happens when I use the wall wart. Any suggestions?

7. W4JDY

W4JDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny, as I had no problems with the radio through the firmware updates. Noise - none save for the EMI in the neighborhood.
    Electronic devices that have a GPS device cause problems, as do cheap Chinese built electronics & TVs, but out of the house everything works as is.

Drivers depend on what operating system you use.

SD card needs one to format it on the radio then return it to the software for formatting .... bug seems to vary with the logbook software, and not the radio.

SDR's are always throwing fits as the DT and IT testing sometimes fall to program management pushes rather than practical software practices.

In short, a great transceiver if one can work out the bugs between the drivers and operating system, and if one day the firmware changes are matched by these logbook program updates or Yaesu provide such software with the radio.