ad: n2yo

Yaesu FT2DR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by OE3JJS, Jul 4, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KI6QDO

KI6QDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Static? anyone else have a lot of static when receiving? I can ear the nets, but the background static is like 1/2 the sound volume... its really annoying... anyone have any solution? to kill the static? I have a strong signal ~ +7 plus...

2. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

You could do what I did, sell it and get the FT-1XDR, great radio.

3. HB9GNA

HB9GNA Ham Member QRZ Page

As a newbie, allow me this question: what is the difference between the FT-2DE and FT-2DR?

I scrolled through all the comments here, and also checked the Yaesu brochures, I just didn't get it ...

Thanks in advance!
    -Greg/HB9GNA

4. HB9GNA

HB9GNA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's so funny how sometimes you look for something for a week or so, then post a question and immediately thereafter somehow find the answer.

So I'm sure you all know that, but for any other newbie out there: apparently the FT-2DR is the USA version (FCC conformity) whereas the FT-2DE is the European/"EXP" (=export?) version (CE conformity).

I found some differences from in the specifications in the Yaesu manual:

RX
    FT2DR: 30-76 MHz, 76-108 MHz, 420-774 MHz, 803-999 MHz (cellular blocked)
    FT2DE: 30-88 MHz, 88-108 MHz, 420-800 MHz, 800-999 MHz

Spurious Emission:
    FT2DR: At least 60 dB below (@TX Power HI, L3); at least 50 dB below (@TX Power L2, L1)
    FT2DE: At least 60 dB below (@TX Power HI, L3, L2); at least -36 dBm below (@TX Power L1)

5. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

US market (R variants) vs other markets (E).
    No real differences in performance between the two as far as I can tell.

6. W4EGE

What antenna were you using then? I noticed that with the duckie that static was pretty bad. With a 77CA it was 50% better. With an X50a....200% better. And transmit range with X50a at 5 Watts gets real close to 30 miles!

7. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

New Firmware dated Yesterday. Be aware if you are using the ADMS-8 to program they will not have it compatible with the firmware until 9/22/2017

8. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I experienced a lot of white noise with the standard antenna, where as I do not experience that with the FT1XDR. It occurred to me that perhaps I just had a bad radio and the FT2D is better than I think it is.

My FT2D would randomly lockup, requiring a battery pull, the display was horrible, as was the reception. But I think the innards are the same as the FT1XDR and that radio is really good, it is currently my all time favorite portable. I don't see why the FT2D would be so different in the performance department, but mine was.

BTW, I tried out the C4FM function not long ago and the audio quality was really good!

9. W4EGE

BEWARE!!!! I was working with the firmware updates and my radio is officially useless.
    Ive contacted Yaesu and they basically said "oh yeah, the firmware was incomplete and they are working on a fix".

On another point...ive never had so much trouble updating firmware on a device. This radio required THREE different updates. WHY!!! The radio failed by not even accepting the third update. The previous two firmwares rendered the sd port and usb port useless.

10. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh,
    well that explains my issues. I had the same issues including with all the problems updating the firmware. When I finally was able to update the firmware, the radio froze. I kept trying to update the firmware and sometimes it would work and sometimes it did not....after about 2 hours I finally got the radio to boot up correctly.
    So now what next? Let's program the radio....NOPE! I tried restoring from a backup I made on the SD card. Well, it won't read the SD Card. Tried the SD Card on my computer and it works fine. Tried using it on my Kenwood THD74D and it works fine. Load the backup again and put it back on the FT2DR and nothing. OK, lets format the card...can't even select format from the menu! Try to write? Gives two beeps and nothing happens. Try to read? Get 2 beeps and nothing happens.
    Ok, step 2.
    Lets load the backup to the ADMS-8 and we are in business? NOPE!
    The computer will not recognize the radio using the USB port. Reinstalling the driver, trying different computers and different cables and nothing. I sent them an email on Saturday and I have not heard back from them as of 1:31 p.m. Monday.
    I am now in the process of programming the radio manually. 19 channels and only 80 more to go. It would be ok if you did not have to go through a 4 step process for each one(to include the name.
    BTW, I usually do not type this much but if I had not spent all weekend trying to fix something they broke I would not be so irritated.