Yaesu FT225RD

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N3VXY, Jan 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3VXY

N3VXY Ham Member QRZ Page

picked up a new (used toy) and have a problem. I've got no noise from the speaker with AF gain all the way up, and squelch all the way down, no signal at external speaker or headphones.

I've verified it does RX/TX in FM mode testing with another radio, s meter indicates signal reception, and tx works as well, audio come through.

Before I start opening the hood on this, I thought I would ask in here if anyone else has dealth with a similar issue.

Thanks!

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's possible the audio output stage is blown.

However most receivers run the speaker audio through the headphones jack and if that has oxidized or corroded contacts internally, then you won't hear anything.

You might check that first.

N3VXY likes this.
  3. N3VXY

N3VXY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that problem is solved so here’s what it was. As seems to be the case with so many vintage rigs, there is a jumper that has to be present. In the case of the FT-225RD, the 5 pin tone input jack needs a jumper between pins one and four to allow for audio to pass through to the speaker. Simple but not obvious, since the manual didn’t mention the necessity of having that jumpered plug in place.

WA4SIX likes this.