ad: ARR

Yaesu FT DX5000MP

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by RK3TD, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0JMO

M0JMO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you have to go to the levels of the Perseus to improve RX performance using SDR...

I'm not entirely sure what all these figures mean, but here is what I'm getting for £250 (PM-SDR):

Any good?

(p.s. They do a TX/RX switching board for the radio for an extra 50 Euros and you use CAT control to keep the RX and TX in Sync)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  2. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Those numbers are receiver sensitivity. Almost every ham rig ever made is sensitive enough, and band noise usualy makes super high sensitivity useless anyway.

The numbers that count the most are dynamic range and blocking dynamic range. Which in general is selectivity to block adjacent signals.

The Perseus has very good preselection filters, and that is the secret to it's performance, but also why it costs a lot more.

The PM-SDR looks like a fun receiver, but don't be suprised if the IC-7000 has better selectivity. DSP in the IF can do a a lot. But if you don't use tight filters to block adjacent signals before the IF, you are fighting a battle you can't win.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  3. M0JMO

M0JMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you W0GI

The more you know (etc) :)

One of the main reasons I'm excited about getting an SDR is for the waterfall view of a reasonable chunk of the band and point/click tuning for search and pounce etc. I think I just assumed it'd have better RX performance than my 7000. I'll have to wait and see!

Thanks again

4. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

It will definatly be a fun receiver, and worth the money for the features you describe. It will probably work fine until you have a really strong signal real close to your frequency.

Beyond that, you could build an external preselector, and really get the blocking better. And that would be fun, and what this hobby is about.

Experimenting and learning is much better then just buying the most expensive rig, and talking into a mic. :)

5. KBLJ

KBLJ QRZ Member

6. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I found this link that lists the supposed price in yen.

http://je1trv.blogspot.com/2009/12/ft-dx5000-price.html

That's $6760 to $7800 in US dollarinos. :eek:

If the US pricing holds true to this, Elecraft, Ten-Tec, and Flex Radio will be very happy. :)

A K3 kit with dual receivers/ATU and full of filters on both receivers - $4000
    A Flex 5000a with dual receive and ATU - $3500
    A Ten-Tec Orion II with ATU - $4600

With the design of the FT DX5000, it will probably be right up there with the K3, Flex-5000a, and Orion II in dynamic range numbers.

With performance, and nice ergonomics the FT DX5000 will be impressive, but $7800????

Not for me, I'll stick with the Mark-V for phone, and add a K3/100 for CW. All the performance I need for a lot less money. And two radios.

Sell Mark-V for $1700 and spend $6400 for a DX5000mp plus tax.

Keep Mark-V and spend $2500 for a K3/100 with ATU and CW filters.

I thought it would be around $5000, at that price I may have just dumped the Mark-V and went for it. $7800, no way. :)

Beyond that, I have my doubts that it will knock the K3 off the top of the 2k dynamic range list, but it will probably be close enough.

I just wonder how many hams have $7800 lying around to buy an HF rig? I know I am selling a lot of stuff, just to come up with $2500 for a K3.

They may price it lower in the USA, but probably not much lower.

7. KBLJ

KBLJ QRZ Member

Current Yen conversion has it at $6,989.25. :eek:

STILL that is way much more than I was looking to spend myself. I guess will buy the FT-2000D and my FT-897 will back that up.

WOW...

8. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Money is tight, and as I sell gear, I wonder if I can even justify a barebones K3/100 with a 250hz filter. Even $2025 for that is not small change.

There are rare times on CW where the K3 would block those close-in strong signals very nicely, but then for all that money, do I really need that occasional QSO?

Most of the time the Mark-V is fine unless I have a 9+40 signal in real close.

It is really hard to separate "I want it" from "I don't really need it". :)

9. K5ROX

K5ROX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not for me

I see NO way to power this by DC, I take pride in knowing that my shack will function just fine if power goes out, For me this is not acceptable.

I like my other Yaesu radios :) they like DC.

10. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still like my TS-850Sat, and older FT-101ZD and TS-520S rigs. The 850 holds its own!

Like others, I'll have to see and hear how this new Yaesu performs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.