Yaesu FT DX5000MP

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by RK3TD, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N0WUE

N0WUE Ham Member QRZ Page

what is the purpose of the map doohickey? besides looking nifty

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

It is for people who have lots of money but can't put up anything of an antenna.
    It gives them something to do, play with knobs and fancy features etc. until they get bored and sell the rig for something different then go through it all again.

3. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I sure would like to see some pricing. I am pretty close to buying a K3/100 setup for CW and digital, and continue using my current Mark-V for SSB.

It seems that the FT-5000 doesn't have dual receivers, and I would imagine it will be in the $4-5K range. The FT-6000 with two receivers will probably be in the $7-8K range.

Unless they suprise me with much lower pricing, I can just spend $2500 for a K3/100 with a tuner and 400/250hz filters, and be in CW heaven.

I'm not an expert SSB contester, but I doubt the FT-5000, FT-6000, or even the K3 on SSB or AM is going to offer more then a minimal performance gain over the Mark-V. CW is a different story, as the old TT Corsair blocks close in signals better the the Mark-V. With a 300hz filter in the FT-5000's first IF, it should be a pretty good CW machine, if they did it right.

4. VE3DVY

VE3DVY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

USB port????

looking at the back and the descriptions in the manual I find it interesting that there is only a 9 pin serial port and no USB.

5. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no idea why most new HF rigs still have serial ports? How many PCs and laptops do you see with serial ports?

While most of the serial to USB adaptors work, many don't with certain devices, and it can be a big pain to find one that does work.

6. N0WUE

wonder if I can hack it, and use it to play doom

7. N0WUE

how about ethernet?

8. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

FTDX5000MP APPLIANCE

:) Best answer of all K7MH--------$$$$$$$ to burn and no Brains

9. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

NOTHING can replace Farrah..............

10. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you take down a Farrah poster to put up a radio poster, it's time for some medication. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.