Yaesu FT DX5000MP

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by RK3TD, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W9LVM

W9LVM Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-5000

It is in a Yaesu ad in December QST! It is going to be coming out in the future!:)

2. KJ6CEA

KJ6CEA Guest

Ill give you 3 Tootsie Pops, 3 Suckers, and a Tricycle if you buy me one!

3. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmmm........you pay shipping?

4. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

But does the receiver perform? It appears that Yaesu is serious, 9mc IF and no up conversion with all those problems, and a decent band monitor... It remains to be seen if the RX is truly bullet proof and the monitor works as good as it looks... The proof is in the testing...
    Currently I have a MK-V (with the roofing filter, and the W8JI keyclick/NB mods) and an Orion II... I looked at upgrading the radios, but didn't see anything that I thought was worth the money, so I spent the annual budget on a new amp - but then, if this new Yaehoo is 99 and 44/100% pure, I just might deficit spend next years budget (hey, if it is good enough for the Big O/Reid/Pelosi, it's good enough for me)...

denny / k8do

5. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

You are better off waiting a bit anyway.......Give them time to fix any new rig bugs that me be crawling about waiting for discovery.....

6. RK3TD

RK3TD Ham Member QRZ Page

New pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like it. The radio is OK but not impressive, the band scope doesn't impress me a bit, it just don't look like they belong together kinda like a cheep add on. :D

8. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Take another look; 9 MHz IF down-conversion receiver; 99 db 3rd dynamic range +25dbm 3rd order intercept point @ 1khz. There's even a 300Hz roofing filter. That alone speaks volumes. Seems Yaesu's following in the footsteps of TenTec and Elecraft when it comes to receiver design.

If I didn't already own a K3...

9. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Time will tell. I would be refreshing if Yaesu actually took some time on the receiver, and a little less time on adding more buttons. :)

If the receiver is better then the Orion II, or close, I will be surprised.

They can do it, but they seem to follow the lead of the marketing department. More buzzwords, buttons, and sub-menus.

Personally, I think the big commercial companies should start looking at working on receiver performance. My Mark-V has plenty of buttons, and the sad reality is that my Ten-Tec Corsair's receiver holds up to the Mark-V in every way other then DSP and convenience. In strong signal blocking the Corsair is even a little better. A radio that cost me $180.

Get the receiver performance up, and I would consider upgrading. I don't need more features that I will never use, as the Mark-V has plenty.

In pure performance, Elecraft is blowing them all away with the K3. Do you need that extra performance? Maybe not, but it is worth more to me then more buttons and dependence on an owners manual.

10. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be a good rig, if they did it right. K3 performance in a box with good ergomomics would make me save some coin. :)

But they can keep that bandscope.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.