Yaesu FT-DX3000D with intermittent output power

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Apr 25, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

N2SUB: I do not have an answer to your problem, but I do have a commendation for you. Post # 1 was a well-written description of the problem, and also reflects the beginning of a well-thoughtout diagnostic process.

N2SUB likes this.
  2. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks! Mine has been doing it more frequently. A rawchew for 20 minutes and it's done. I'm trying to find exactly the right procedure to send them so they can replicate the problem and get to the bottom of it. Let me know if you hear anything.

3. KC4M

KC4M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So far I haven't heard anything other than it's "in the queue." It's been there "15 business days" as of yesterday, which was their estimate for it to be seen by a tech. However, the new estimate is that it won't see the bench for another couple weeks. When I hear anything, I'll post it.

N2SUB likes this.
  4. KO2LA

KO2LA Ham Member QRZ Page

My 3000 "locks-up" once or twice a month. I turn it off and back on and all is well. Not enough of a problem to deal with. Good luck!

N2SUB likes this.
  5. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I loved the description of the problem and the steps you are taking to fix it. Here is a thought I had. Maybe not the same problem, but on my FT-920 it starts to loose power when i have to great of a mismatch and use the auto tuner. Are you using the auto tuner. Maybe the problem!! What was happening to mine, was the mismatch was hi but the auto tuner would bring the match into range of about 1.5:1. When I xmitted for long periods of time in a ragchew, it would heat up the PA board, which later I found had a bad solder joint. Fixed the bad solder joint. added a second fan to pull air out over the PA board while the internal fan pushed air over the PA board. Problem fixed. Here again not really the same type problem but another place to look.

Bob

N2SUB likes this.
  6. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Conjures up a comforting reflection. :oops:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  7. N2SUB

It happens with the internal tuner, an external tuner and a resonant antenna. :) Great minds think alike Thanks for the idea.

8. N2SUB

The thing that makes this unique is that it doesn't happen mid-transmission, it happens when I hit PTT after waiting a while in a round table or net.....so the rig should be the coolest it will get. And the PO needle doesn't move and the rig makes no sound. I usually don't realize what happened until someone says "We lost you". It reminds me of the old Astron power supplies that would get thrown into "crowbar mode" when presented with reverse polarity. Instead of popping a fuse it shunted to ground until you cycled off and on (and of course removed the incorrect polarity). Something like that could be very hard to find.

9. K5URU

K5URU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been following along, and I appreciate the opportunity to learn from this discussion. I was wondering if you could clarify the statement that the rig makes no sound. Do you mean it simply doesn't produce an error beep, or does your receive audio stop while you have the PTT button held down and return when you release it? I presume it's the latter, since you'd probably notice the receive audio when you expect it to pause while you transmit.

Thanks! Best of luck on the rig. I'm looking forward to reading all about how you fixed it!

Blake K5URU

10. N2SUB

Thanks Blake.....I guess that wasn't very clear. :) The receive audio properly cuts out on transmit. What I mean is that there are no warnings/signals from the radio, and no unusual clicks or fans kicking on. It's kind of an eerie silence.