ad: cq2k-1

Yaesu FT 991A vs Icom IC 7300 - Which Radio Should You Buy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Aug 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. YV5FAB

YV5FAB Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "W8VIJ, publicación: 5930846, miembro: 274016"] Investigué en ambas radios y decidí comprar una IC-7300 y estoy muy satisfecho con su rendimiento y menús amigables para configurar en todos los modos de esta radio. ofertas.
    Utilizo Fldigi para BPSK, Olivia, Contestia, DominoEX y varios otros modos. Fue muy fácil configurar el IC-7300 para operar en modo D-SSB.
    Puede encontrar mucha información en YouTube sobre ambas radios. Vi videos WA2IVD Ham Cured Smoke IC-7300 AZ y fueron de gran ayuda para comprender esta radio.
    También es una radio de entrada de gran nivel.
    Todo se reduce a lo que quieres que haga la radio.
    Espero escucharte en el aire.
    73! [/ CITA]

Tambien me pasó lo mismo, no me arrepiento de haber elegido el ic-7300, sobre todo porque se trata de un radio 100% digital, es un radio hecho para digitales....

M1WML likes this.
  2. KE7NUY

KE7NUY Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have either model. I am using a Kenwood TS-850s for HF and an iCom for VHF/UHF. I am interested in upgrading to a new more modern HF radio and these are the two models that everyone talks about. I am learning the differences between the two to try to make a good decision on which to buy. Thank you for doing this direct comparison video.

M1WML, N5TTI and IW3ILM like this.
  3. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had both for a week. I chose the 991a. There seems to be a push for icom in the United States, especially on YouTube. When I passed my technician class exam I was given a bag of icom sales ads. Perhaps the markup is higher on icom rigs?

In my opinion the 7300 seemed more toy like. I am familiar with the yaesu menu system.

Don’t know it’s like the old Linux, Microsoft, apple wars. Just choose what works for you. Opinions are opinions.

YT2II, M1WML, G3SEA and 1 other person like this.
  4. IW3ILM

IW3ILM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ciao. Ho nessuna delle due radio. Se dovessi scegliere nessuna delle due acquisterei. Ma come dici tu, solo le orecchie possono giudicare.
    73 Massimo

M1WML likes this.
  5. K7JBL

K7JBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're willing to spend $1100 on the FT 991A (nice enough radio) and VHF/UHF isn't a big deal (since you were considering a 7300) might I suggest you spend a bit more (easy to say, eh? :) ) and get the FTDX-10? They're actually in stock and blow both the 991A and the 7300 away as an HF rig. The FTDX even has a video port so you can watch the display on a full-sized monitor.

K3ABN and M1WML like this.
  6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, if there is any way you can swing the extra cost, I think buying the FTDX10 will save some people money, in the long run.

K7JBL, M1WML and W2WRX like this.
  7. W5MIL

W5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish Kenwood would come out with their own version of these two radios.

M1WML, K3SZ and W9WQA like this.
  8. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

icom display and software with it should be an industry standard, its like a lab instrument.
    let everyone use it...

especially 991a...!!!

WG5ENE and M1WML like this.
  9. KM6LYW

KM6LYW Ham Member QRZ Page

i own both the 991 and 7300, pretty lucky that way. if i could have only one i'd keep the 7300, and buy a vhf/uhf radio to go with it. the 991 is great, but atu takes forever and comes up with a bad solution 10% of the time. some software settings fail, like the needle movement when you flick the knob quickly, requiring a reboot. digital mode settings are not intuitive to me personally. the 991 display updates slowly, the 7300 has a fast framerate.

if you dont like SDR receiver, or only have space/power for a single radio, and dont yet have a 50watt vhf/uhf rig, or perhaps you like c4fm, the yaesu is the keeper

i'm on the latest firmware for both.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They did
    It was called the TS2000

M1WML likes this.
  11. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No panadapter.

They're not willing to put a radio out there like the 590sg that has a pandapter because it will rival their next model in the line.

12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one radio for me is the icom.. ;)

13. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are both SDR receivers. The primary difference between the 7300 and 991 is that the 7300 is direct sampling while the 991 is a hybrid design - much like the FTdx10. The 7300 digitizes at the receive frequency, then processes all the way to audio in the digital domain. The 991 starts out as an analogue superhet, converts down to a 24kHz IF, then digitizes and does the detection in the digital domain. This allows Yaesu to use cheaper, low frequency A/D and D/A convertors and also gives them the opportunity to insert roofing filters into the signal path.

Martin (G8FXC)

W5ATJ, K8PG, WG5ENE and 3 others like this.
  14. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

And that is a huge benefit because it allows the FT-991 to utilise the entire dynamic range of the ADC on the small pass band after the roofing filter whereas on the 7300, the dynamic range of the ADC has to "swallow" all signals in the band and outside. So if you have strong signals nearby the signal you're interested in, the FT-991 wins.

73, Meindert - PA0MHS

YT2II, VA3PCI, KE0EYJ and 1 other person like this.
  15. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

indeed, it does. As I've said before, the 7300 is my preferred radio when conditions are good - because it is so ergonomic that it is a real pleasure to use, but if I'm trying to dig weak signals out of strong QRM, I'll switch to the 991A - its noise reduction is a lot better.

Martin (G8FXC)