ad: HamHats-1

Yaesu FT 991A vs Icom IC 7300 - Which Radio Should You Buy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Aug 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

and if you miss the opportunity to watch your favorite show on the big screen, it's already has been solution for a long time

PilotFirstLook02.jpg

2. AE0IT

AE0IT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The discussion about the menus on both radios is similar to Android versus iPhone debate. ;)

I've looked at both radios and decided to go with the IC-7300 for HF and the IC-9700 for VHF/UHF. I just preferred not to have an all-in-one radio in the event that should it need to be serviced I wouldn't be totally dead in the water with either one. I have also heard others say that they prefer a radio that was designed to perform a single purpose well. I've been very satisfied with the separate radios.

3. SV2HZF

SV2HZF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wise choice if you ask me!

4. K9RDU

K9RDU Ham Member QRZ Page

Save your pennies a little while longer, get an FTDX10. Use a dual band mobile in the house... Get a kenwood and you can crossband, digipeat, igate if you want, plus you have a packet tnc.
    I do almost everything, and I only need these 2 radios (kenwood is a d700) to do it. Haven't even looked at anything other than an HT since we got the FTdx10.

5. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In my opinion I would not put both these rigs against each other. I have owned both and sold them.

I would pit the FT-991a vs the IC-7100 - which is a better comparison and IMO would stay with the IC-7100 (which in fact I have 2 of them)

color waterfall displays are nice but I tend to use my ears instead of a waterfall.

I use my rigs for POTA and mobile and I love them. Menu is easy to use, I can quickly get onto the Digital modes and I really enjoy D-Star.

The radio is dated but I cannot wait till Icom comes up with an updated one which should be fairly easy if they just update the control head with a color display and waterfall, and an ATU.

Right now the best part is the price- Capture.PNG

6. N2ZD

N2ZD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 7300 at its best was 500 dollars less than a 991A which accounts for many being for sale. For sure they outsold the 991A by miles. I love the 7300, but I don't like the tuner. But I still kept it. Great radio for the 800-850 range and I find no problems rx or TX to write home about as there isn't anything this good in its price range. I have many HF radios both upscale and cheap. For the price any new ham would be happy either or....

K0CXF and K4ORA like this.
  7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

ive got a $1500 stash for a ic991a !! please make it icom...

8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very politically correct video, no firm conclusion, no likes or dislike, just ice cream for everyone. By the way, what the hell is this, Hey Chef, he keeps talking about in the video?

9. PY2DPG

PY2DPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Eu já estou no radioamadorismo ha 56 anos. Fui possuidor de varios tipos e marcas de equipamentos, porèm, quando ganhei de um dos meus filhos o FT-950 da Yaesu, tratei de vender os demais de outras marcas, porque esse aparelho satisfaz
    plenamente o que preciso para atender o meu hóbi, quer na transmissão como recepção e audio.

10. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Does everyone need or want a "shack-in-the-box"? For some people, it makes perfect sense. For some others like me, it does not. I like 2m and 90cm as well but I also like satellite coms. So I have an ID5100 which is perfect for both and easy to move outside or to an off-site location.

11. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

It won't do SSB though, something I'm interested in.
    So the FT991A is for me the right choice, everyone should pick the one suiting him the best.

NT4I likes this.
  12. AF9P

AF9P Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy I like that Idea! An FTDX10 with 2m/ 70cm would be in my RV right now! I have a FT 710 that is looking for a 991a trade!