ad: hrd-2

Yaesu FT-991A malfunction, problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by RAVEN009, Dec 4, 2019 at 11:48 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. RAVEN009

RAVEN009 QRZ Member

I turned my FT-991A off yesterday and everything was fine. I turned on my FT-991A this morning and, um, something is seriously wrong. It won't receive, won't transmit, won't tune, some relay is clicking, meter is following the relay clicking with spurious peaks, and....it's 3 months old. INOP buttons: FAST, LOCK, Ugh. Power supply is stable.
    I tried all the reset tricks and unless someone here has another suggestion, I need to take it back to HRO, DE.
    wpincare
    Wes
    WM7WM

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Carry it back to HRO, DE. If you haven't sent in the warranty card, they will just take it and hand you another one.

3. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wes (WM7WM):

Try: 1. Disconnecting the microphone, key and any other external items and cables (all of them)., then 2. Check for stuck/depressed buttons, then 3. Power up the radio from another 12V supply or your car battery.

If the radio behaves exactly the same, return it.

Brian - K6BRN

4. K7RJB

K7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure the USB cable is disconnected or your computer is turned on first when you power up the radio.

Or is it just the older radios that do that?

5. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Certainly sounds like a power issue. Take the fuses out of the holder and put them back in.

N2PQW and KU3X like this.
  6. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wes,
    I'd have to agree here. The behavior you describe is exactly what to expect if the radio weren't getting power in the required range, 13.8vDC +/- 15%. (11.73vDC to 15.87vDC)
    You mention that the power supply is "stable", but at what voltage?

As M0GVZ mentioned, it could be that one or both of the fuses may have developed a high-resistance with its contacts, and interfering with power transfer. It's even possible that the connector to the radio wasn't fully seated, even though it has worked well until now.

Save yourself an unnecessary trip to HRO, and measure the actual voltage at the power connector that feeds the back of the radio, and be sure the connection is solid. Maybe even try a different power supply, if you have one available.

Of course, if everything checks out, and the FT-991A still has problems, you are well within warranty range, so have at it. And let us know what you do to resolve the issue!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

7. W9KEY

W9KEY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just bought an FT-991A at HRO a few days ago. Been busy and it's still in the box.

One really nice thing about Yaesu radios - they offer a 3 Year Warranty, much better than others.
    I've specifically mentioned that to ICOM reps. Maybe if more of us do that, other amateur radio manufacturers will follow Yaesu's lead.
    So if it's not a power issues as others have suggested - just take it back and get a replacement!!