Yaesu FT-991 CW Setup

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KM4WSX, Apr 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

KM4WSX likes this.
  2. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used a Yaesu FT-3000 for two years now and I'm still learning the infernal menus!!
    Whats basic for a CW op are items like full breakin-or VOX? What sending pitch do you prefer? Keyer or straight key/bug?
    The Yaesu memory system can be confusing so I rarely use it..for CW its not important.
    Good luck and CU on the air!

3. N6MMA

N6MMA Ham Member QRZ Page

The sad part about the Yaesu manual is that it has so many Acronyms, of which someone wanting to get on the air has no clue about their meaning. I have no idea what zero beat means. I do know I want a tone of about 550hz, supposedly. What does VOX mean? Volume On Transmittal? I know I need to activate it on my kx3 to do CW. I guess I need to do it also on my FT-991.

Anyone that has updated the firmware on a FT-991 knows how poorly it was implemented, compared to any Elecraft. My KX3 is well thought out, logical, and user friendly for updates. My FT-991 reminds me of DOS systems, back in the day. Sad, because we are well into the 21st Century.

Going to plug in my new Begali Expedition to the FT-991 this time and give it a whirl. The KX3 went without a hitch.

Sounds like "Off" and "ACS" are where I will start, for settings first. Thank you!

Some might find this link useful. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/873378/Yaesu-Ft-991.html?page=80

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know what V O X is ? :eek:

5. VK3FDT

VK3FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wants to do CW but has no clue as to what Zero-Beat means??? :confused: -things that make ya go: hmmm-

Steve / W5BIB

7. HB9FXW

HB9FXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a computer addict: grew up with them, use them more than 12 hours a day, and dream about them... but I prefer the old rigs without any menu. I only use my modern Icom for 6m now since I have my beloved TS-530!

8. WA6ILT

WA6ILT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got a 991A and the manual is one of the worst I've seen in 50 years of hamming. The index is virtually useless, the examples are poorly done, and in general it is a rotten piece of work. I don't blame anybody for being lost & confused in its pages!

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a WORLD of difference between my aging FT 990 and the newer FT991 model !
    I have all the functions but a few right on the front panel ! Easy for me to use !
    I hate multifunction knobs and multiple level menus to search thru to change anything .:eek:
    Learned radio when it was all tubes, I even miss dipping the plate current and tuning the driver every time I change freq much :rolleyes:

10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering after reading this thread, if you got things under control to your satisfaction??
    After several years of being off the air and never having used a Yaesu radio, I bought a FTdx3000. With my health issues, I thought I would have maybe six months to play. The new system was a little daunting to say the least, but I learned to read the manual and try things out. You need to trust Yaesu a little and if you don't know the difference between all the options, trust DEFAULT.
    Listen to the sidetone, it will tell you a lot. Adjust it to your ear.
    Most importantly, give yourself a little time to grasp the most important, most used things first. Give CW some time, you will get better if you persist.
    Shoot me an email and I will try with my limited expertise to tell what I think.

Have fun.
    jim