ad: Amateur-1

Yaesu FT-9800R

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by G0AOZ, Aug 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. G0AOZ

G0AOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also own a TYT TH-9800 transceiver, which has a feature which does not appear to be available on the FT-9800.

On the TYT TH-9800, a short press on the lefthand VOL/SQL button puts the transceiver into Single Receive mode, i.e. the righthand VFO is switched off. Can this same function be achieved on the FT-9800?

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure there ever was a Yaesu FT-9800. Are you sure you don't mean the FT-8900R? The TYT is a blatant ripoff of the FT-8900R.

3. G0AOZ

Sorry, yes, the Yaesu rig is an FT-8900R. I am, of course, aware that the TYT TH-8900 is a less than favourable copy of the FT-8900R, which is why I was surprised the Single Receive mode feature does not appear to be available on the Yaesu rig. Or perhaps someone knows otherwise...?

4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if I can get the cat off my desk, I'll dig out my FT-8900 go-kit and see if it's possible to do that with it. Standby...

I'm back... The Yaesu FT-8900R DOES NOT have that function in the left hand squelch/volume control. What is does is toggle the old WIRES internet linking system on and off. Since that system was proprietary to Yaesu, TYT decided to do something else with that function.

I think being able to turn off one VFO could be a useful function.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  5. GW8LGX

GW8LGX Ham Member QRZ Page

You can turn one vfo off.

Enter the SET mode, select DSP.SUB, then set to OFF, exit SET mode. Behold, one vfo.

Hope this helps.

6. G0AOZ

GW8LGX, thank you. Worked a treat!