Yaesu FT-980 Not transmitting - I think...

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by M6IGG, Jan 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. M6IGG

M6IGG Ham Member QRZ Page

So I passed my foundation over a year ago and finally decided I wanted to dip my toes into HF. Already got VHF/UHF plus D-star and DMR so wanted to do some HF.

I purchased a HF rig (Yaesu FT-980) on eBay for about £200) give or take. Went to collect as the thing weighs 17 KG so not going to be post friendly and wasn't too far from me anyhow. Gets there and the guy is really nice and his workshop was amazing. He also hosts the local radio club so had all the kit you could ask for. He shows me the radio working and it was receiving ok too. Took it home and plugged it all in and decided right there are so many knobs and buttons I really need to read the manual to ensure I use it correctly and that I didn't cause interference on amateur bands.

Anyway after reading the manual i decided to try and make a contact. Stick the antenna up and plug it in etc, test the SWR and its perfect 1:1. I went through the operating instruction slowly one by one and try for all I might I cannot get the thing to transmit. There is so many knobs and buttons I'm convinced its me and not the radio but I am concerned I have been sold a dud. I don't have the equipment or the know how to test the thing.

The reason I think it is not transmitting is because there is no output on the power gauge and my external SWR / power meter also not registering anything either. Have tried for hours calling CQ but no response. Is any one familiar with this radio which might be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in Advanced

M6IGG

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering how you where able to measure the SWR without transmitting a signal?

One thing that you may need to look at is the MIC GAIN. You see, with a too low of a setting there, then there will be no output when operating in a SSB mode.
    Just a thought that may be where the problem is.

Hope this helps
    Gary

3. M6IGG

Thanks for your input. I have tried adjusting the mic gain but to no avail. Good point about the SWR though. I have tried all evening putting calls out to no avail. I but my kenwood thd74e on to the hf receive and it screeches when i press the mic on my hf rig so must be getting out. I will carry on investigating and see what i can find out. The guy I got it from runs a local radio club so might go along with my radio and see if he can show me how to use it properly.

4. VK6AGK

VK6AGK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a similar problem all modes are working fine except for USB and LSB i have tracked it down to possibly being Q2036 or Q2039 in the IF Unit. If anybody else has any thoughts also please provide your feedback via this thread.

Thanks in Advance

Chris VK6AGK

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That seems to good to be true. No power out = 0 deflected.

A dummy load is your friend. Operators manual is too.

Good Luck.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your rig is almost certainly transmitting. Try again using headphones and I think you will hear your signal clearly in the 'phones. (It is also considered polite to do this kind of testing into a dummy load, and for that reason NO amateur station should ever be without one!)

7. M6IGG

Hi All, Thanks for all your help. I am going to invest in a dummy load as they are always useful. The antenna I have is very good and can be fine tuned for a perfect swr. I have read the manual, I followed it to a tee and still no having any luck. I have a lot of electrical noise, so I am going to see what I can do to lower it. Going to wait till the early hours of the morning when everyone's asleep and try again to see if the noise has gone or still there.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it have any output in the CW mode with a key plugged in and pressed down>???

9. M6IGG

I don't have a key, I intend on getting one at some point but want to get the basics down first before moving to CW

10. K8AC

K8AC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, the CW test is "the basics". It demonstrates that the transceiver is capable of generating a carrier and that you can control the level of output with the drive or RF power control. If it can't do that, then forget about testing it on SSB. An easy test for you would be to put the rig in RTTY mode and hitting the PTT button on the mic or the MOX button on the panel. That should also put out a constant carrier just as closing a CW key does.