Yaesu FT-920 with Signalink and WSJT-X problems

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD4VOJ, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:51 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KD4VOJ

KD4VOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am trying to get my FT-920 setup with a Signalink USB and WSJT-X ver2.0 to run FT8. The Signalink is connected to the radio using the SL-CAB5PD DIN cable. I am having two issue I hope someone can help with. I have not changed any of the rig menu items. The PC is running Win10.

1. I can decode FT8 traffic just fine with the radio mode set to USB, but if I set it to USB-DATA, I stop decoding traffic. I double checked to make sure the frequency was set properly after selecting the DATA mode. I saw on other post online about an OP with this problem, but never saw a solution for it.

2. When I try to transmit FT8 traffic, nothing is getting transmitted. The rig keys up, but there are no tones. I listed to the Tx audio with the MONI function and there was no tones. I verified the soundcard selection on the PC was set to use the PC's Realtek soundcard for both playback and record, and verified the WSJT-X soundcard setting was also set to the PC's Realtek soundcard for both playback and receive per the instructions. The levels sliders on the PC soundcard are set to about midrange,

Any advice on what I am missing in the setup, menu settings, or other things to check would really be appreciated

Tnx,
    Rick
    KD4VOJ

2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For item 1. likely USB and decoding is set to upper sideband as it should. When switched to USB-DATA check that it is set to upper sideband too.

For item 2. which I have trouble following which is on me, I don't see where you have used the Signalink as a selection for audio in either direction. Also no mention of addressing the jumper block inside the Signalink. Wishing I could be of more help.

3. KD4VOJ

Mike, tnx for the reply. The jumper block inside the Signalink is the pre-made one from Tigertronics.
    For the second issue description, the problem is there is no modulation (tones) when transmitting. The rig keys up, but its is just a silent carrier, no audio. Doesn't setting the Audio configuration in WSJT-X for both receive and transmit soundcards to PC's Audio Codec on the Enhanced and standard comm ports, per the Signalink instruction, essentially select the Signalink as the selection for audio in both directions?

4. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Question: Why are there so many threads involving problems with expensive interface devices designed to solve interfacing problems?

5. KD4VOJ

Found the problem. In the FT-920 menu U46 defaults to LSB and needs changed to USB for WSJTx, plus the FSK-AFSK switch on the back has to be on AFSK. Once that was fixed I could select USB-DATA that fixed everything. I found out the outgoing signal is only supplied to the DATA DIN port when you are in DATA mode, not in straight USB.

6. KE5MC

Good to see you solved the issues.

7. KE5MC

My opinion is that interfacing is a serial linking process. Each step has to be correct before going to the next step. The first mistake negates changes that follow creating confusion and frustration. Bring radios and computers together raises the need to understand how they interact with each other beyond the typical microphone/key device we have traditionally had.
    Mike

8. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I prefer something to which I can attach an oscilloscope, e.g. external sound card dongle, EASYdigi board, USB/Serial dongle, etc.