Yaesu FT-897D or ICOM IC-7000,...which would you choose as first rig?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9SYJ, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5FNI

KF5FNI Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw some stuff on here & eham a few months back on stealth apartment antenna projects. There are a few other sites out there that I can't remember, just google 'ham radio apartment antenna design'. dxzone.com has some stuff. ARRL & other organizations have good antenna books. I have one of the ARRL ones, it's a good learning tool.

The 7000 actually puts out about the same amount of heat as a bigger radio, it's just that all the circuits are crammed in a very small area with a small heatsink. A small fan blowing on the rig will help.

2. KC9SYJ

KC9SYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you so much,...I'll check those antenna designs out!

3. K6JK

K6JK Ham Member QRZ Page

When making this decision I picked the 7000 over the 857. Trade off of slightly larger size for much better feature set.

4. KU8V

KU8V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the same decision . . .

I had the same choice looking for my first HF rig. By the time you look at batteries and the extra charger, with the 897 you're getting close to the price of the 7000. The 7000 is such a pleasure to use, and just a very fine radio. The ergonomics and features for such a small radio are great.

If I knew I would be doing a lot of VERY portable operating I would have gone with the 897. Right now I just lug a marine battery and my AH-4 tuner and I'm good to go. But not on long hikes!

5. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

The 897 is not a very hike-friendly rig, it would sit nicely in a camp near a car park but in general people use it just once for something like Summits On The Air before looking for something less back-breaking! For backpacking I use either an 857 with a 7 ah SLAB, or an 817 for longer or more difficult climbs; an IC-706 would not really do for this kind of use as it pulls nearly 2 amps on receive - although it has some supporters.

Brian G8ADD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.