Yaesu FT-897D or ICOM IC-7000,...which would you choose as first rig?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9SYJ, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Two small items come to mind I have owned FT-2000 and D models since early 2007 and kept up on the reflectors. The main problem people have is not understanding the 2000 it has a very steep learning curve and many do not understand the operation of all items for DSP and menu settings I put in many hours on this radio. I will asure you that DSP filtering does work and you will find it on even the $9-14,000 radios and you can be sure if it did not work well it would not be there.

I now use a FTDX-5000MP it works as well or better than all receivers I have ever used. I have had the pleasure of using a 9000 and a IC-7800 for compairson.

I have had a FT-857 and sold it in the fall of 2007 and bought a IC-7000 a better radio in my opion a few months later bought a second one and still both of them one for a go radio and one for my motorhome no problems.

But to sum it all up I must agree with the others who suggested the FT-950 a superior radio to all others in the price range and a new model released in the last 2 yrs i think.

Good Luck

3. XE1ZLG

XE1ZLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not agree !!

I have done and A/b test between the FT 950 and IC 7000, with the same antenna and with a less than one minute time difference and the FT 950 has less background noise ( only a little bit ) but the DSP of the IC 7000 is by far ... the best....

XE1ZLG and 73

4. KC9SYJ

KC9SYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sooooo many radios,...soooo many choices! Anyway,I have not ruled out used radios as a viable option. How are the ICOM IC-746 radios as used gear? How dependable are they and do they cover HF+6m? I would not rule out that little IC-706 MKII,either,...if I could find one. Brand new ICOMs are out of my budget range right now,but I will admit that the IC-7600 looks like a fine rig. Yaesu is still first choice,but I would not rule out an ICOM,either.
    I guess that for local 2m FM work,my little Alinco HT can fill that spot. But for HF+6m,an ICOM IC-746 Pro or FT-950 Yaesu might be the better choice from what others have said. Some have said that the IC-7000 gets quite warm,if not hot,during operation,...that sets off a red flag to me for some reason!

5. KC9SYJ

Very interesting and may be very good advice! Why do I say that now after reading others opinions? I have plans to visit my first hamfest in Lima,Ohio this weekend. Hopefully I can get my hands on some radios and see how the tuning dials feel,etc. Who knows?,...I may just end up with an FT-950 Yaesu instead of the FT-897 afterall for HF+6m work as originally planned,but again,not rule out used radios such as the IC-746 radios from ICOM or maybe
    an FT-920 from Yaesu.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  6. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

First Rig

Well first i would upgrade the license if your a technician. I was a technician for nearly 18 years and enjoyed the frequencies between 28.300 to 28.500 MHz until discovering there was more opportunity in advancing the license. For those years enjoyed the different frequencies given in the privilege and last year upgrade to general to further the enjoyment. So i would say upgrade if you haven't already and my favorite has been yeasu, icom and kenwood. My first rig was an icom ic-706mkIIg and other are including the yeasu ft-897 original and ft-100 which i found had issues with the LPU board which found a solution but rather repair sold it. Enjoy the privileges and enjoy them all...73

7. W9PSK

W9PSK Ham Member QRZ Page

"The best" is just your opinion, to which you are entitled. I wouldn't consider anything ICOM makes to be "the best".

8. KF5FNI

KF5FNI Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that choosing a radio depends on dozens of factors. A few are: capabilities, where & how it's going to be used, budget, menus or knobs, accessories, size, amp draw, etc. I went to a field day event & most hams let me check out their radios, plus I looked at the manufacturers specs to determine which radio fit my preference.

In my own opinion, I think the 857 & 7000 make excellent HF mobile rigs, the 7000 can also make a good stationary rig if lack of space or budget is the case. The 897D is good for expeditions & for temporary emergency stations. New stationary rigs like the icom 7600/7800 & yaesu 9000 are awesome for DX, if you can afford them. Boat anchors are fun to play with, but this day in age they pick up alot of qrm in city's.
    I personally have a yaesu 8900 FM for mobile since I drive for 4 hours a day in very heavy traffic (messing with HF ssb in Houston traffic is just as distracting as texting with a cellphone). At home I have a ic-7000, ic-28A, ft-950 & various receivers/scanners & boat anchors, they fit my needs perfectly. I plan on getting a 7600 in the future.

9. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If your planning on a IC-7600 save a few more dollars and get twice the radio with a Yaesu FTDX-5000 in any of the 3 models. My friend had one and after borrowing mine for a week sold his and bought a 5000 much better receiver and filtering his statement.

10. KC9SYJ

First rig

All of you have been giving very helpful suggestions to a new ham such as myself,and I do very much appreciate that alot,...they will be taken into consideration. I must point out,however,that N2OBS has made a very good
    suggestion by mentioning I should upgrade to my General from Tech first.

KF5FNI makes some very good points as well. For serious HF work and budget considerations,the Yaesu FT-950 would be the most,moneywise,I could go for
    a stationary "in home" base station rig. ICOM is too expensive for my wallet when you start talking rigs like their IC-7600,IC-7800,etc. Heck,they are DOUBLE the price of the FT-950 almost. Overall,I feel that N2OBS has again
    offered the best suggestion. While studying for license upgrade from Tech to General,this will also give me time to really ponder which radio will best meet my needs and what I want to do. I don't REALLY have to do any VHF/UHF work,so an HF+6m rig like the FT-950 would meet my needs exactly,...plus it would be alot of fun learning just what the rig can do. For the local VHF/UHF work,my HT can take care of that job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.