ad: chuckmartin

Yaesu FT-897

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD6OJG, Mar 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD6OJG

KD6OJG Ham Member QRZ Page

To my dismay this particular model has been discontinued but I am still interested in getting one. I was so serious about it that I was socking away money in one of my savings accounts specifically for it. There was just something about it, the rugged look and the simplistic layout.

I may still pursue it if I can get enough good positive information about it. If any of you own this can you give your objective opinion and experiences about it. The good, the bad and the ugly as long as it’s objective. Thanks!

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

My FT 897D is my 100 watt go to radio for portable operations. To me it's the perfect radio. Since it has audio DSP, the current drain is less than most IF DSP radios. Forget the internal
    batteries. Just get yourself an 18 amp hour external battery if you want to operate portable.
    I probably use mine about once a year anymore since I have been focusing more so on QRP portable. But no way and I going to part with my 897D. It's a 100 watt one radio do all for
    portable operations. It's built like a tank.
    I have the 500 CW filter in mine. I alway hated those 1.8 khz filters, they are too narrow for SSB. But you can get a 2.3 khz filter for the 897 / 857 and it's great. I am glad I installed one
    in mine.
    I was going to replace my 897D with an FT 991A. Out club has one and I hate it. Very menu driven and not easy to navigate around. The memory channels are terrible to program and just
    as hard to navigate. The 897 is so easy to use and the memory channels are super easy to program and navigate.

The only problem I had with mine was the VFO encoder fell apart. I poped it back together and it ran backwards. I ordered a new one from Yaesu and it was super easy to change. No soldering needed. If I can change it a monkey with a banana can change it !....and it wasn't an expensive fix.

If you have a direct question, feel free to email me direct.

Barry, KU3X

http://www.ku3x.net/portable-100

KC9BNW likes this.
  3. KA4SFF

KA4SFF Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably to late for my opinion but I own 3 of them!! Had always been a Kenwood fan but used these on field day several years back and have been hooked ever since. They are well made operate on almost every amateur band and with batteries make an excellent emergency back up radio. Still can get the add on tuner and power supply from HRO.

4. KM4JVF

KM4JVF Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve also have obsessed over this radio for the last one or two years. I even have a kx3 and kx2: but always found myself looking at reviews and pictures of the 897 in peoples stations. I finally caved in two weeks ago and got one from qrz. It will be my dedicated base station and my elecrafts will be for field day. I already love the 897d. Came with the yeast tuner and mfj meter. Works on all bands and receives well. If you have the money, just get it. You will not be disappointed.

Km4jvf

5. KM4JVF

KM4JVF Ham Member QRZ Page

“Yeasu tuner” not yeast. Darn autocorrect.

6. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

I have the small brother of the FT897d the FT857D .
    I already have it for 15 yrs, do use it occaisionaly at home and more for portable or hollidays.
    I had a FT450, dumped the FT450 kept the Ft857D.
    I had a TS590S , dumped the TS590S kept the Ft857D.
    Now have a IC7300, but still have the FT857D including narrow 300Hz Collins CW filter.
    Only use the FT857D for the portable work, still cannot part from it.
    Its not perfect, its not the best, but I never found such things that I hated about it that I could say goodbey to it.
    And hey its 15 yrs old now, its still working, never had any defect, not bad for such a cheap rig.

73 Jos