Yaesu FT 897/D and Echolink

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by WV8HAM, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WV8HAM

WV8HAM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am useing the 897/D on all Digi modes and rescently got into echolink. I am not using a tipical interface like the west mountain equipment and so on. I am only using the audio cables from the sound card to the data port on the back of the radio. works fine on PSK , Packet , SSTV etc. Now on echolink the digital vox and gain inside the radio menu interfear with local transmit in echolink settings. Even though the "key on local TX" is NOT checked the 897 still insists on Keying up when some one local transmits on frequency due to the fact that getting Echolink to transmit Id , Time , Weather and inbound audio from a echolink node , the settings on digital vox and digital gain has to be set at a high number. there for making the radio's PTT to click.

My questions are ; Can this digital vox and gain be bypassed some how , with out having to wire up a interface to the Mic jack on the Front of the radio? Also im not sure what settings to use in echolink for RX and TX both due to this problem. I have set different settings and nothing works with any gain.

If any one has attempted this setup, I would like to know if it was succesful or not!

Thanks
    Gerald Wilson.....wv8ham

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this question belongs over on Q+A, where you'll be more likely to find someone who's done it. I know EchoLink fairly well, but I can't decipher what you're asking in regards to the FT-897.

I think you're going to need a hard PTT connection so that the computer can key the PTT when there is an inbound signal from EchoLink. When a transmission comes in from the 'net, EchoLink keys the PTT on the transceiver. On the receive side, when an signal comes in on the radio, the audio from that is used by Echolink to key the link in the opposite direction using VOX. I don't see how any kind of VOX on the transceiver's part is going to work. EchoLink provides the VOX for audio coming from the radio to the Internet.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  3. KF5AOK

KF5AOK Ham Member QRZ Page

i am using a ft897 and a signalink usb card to control my radio for echolink functions the people that are using it and myself do not dectect any problems at this time with it if you want to email me on this you can at mrfixit2003_975@hotmail.com or my node number 497067 on echolink i sometimes have it on simplex here or the 70 cm machine we have if i am in the area i will return the call to you

KF5AOK
    jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.