ad: w5yi

Yaesu FT-891 users in here

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W6AAM, Oct 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6AAM

W6AAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just wondering if the FT-891 has an internal antenna tuner, and if so, does it work reasonably well? Thinking next year I may buy one, but want it for POTA and such. Legging around an extra piece of equipment really isn't in the cards unless I have to.

Thanks

2. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a FT-891. Portable and CW only op here. No, no internal tuner, but I use a LDG Z11ProII when I need to. I use it for portable operations like POTA, WWFF and such. If you don't want to carry a tuner then build resonant antennas. For the record, most internal tuners have a limited matching range whereas a good external tuner can match a paper clip (I exaggerate of course). As for how the 891 works, it does ... and well. Good sensitivity, great selectivity, and easy to use.

W6AAM likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No tuner. First had a manual MFJ with it, them switched to an LDG. The went back to the manual.

Once you determine and write down the settings for the manual, it is all you need.

Never liked the clackety clack of the LDG, and that it rarely tuned much below 1.3 to 1.6.

N5HXR and W6AAM like this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

If you set up the 981's Rx, it is much(!!) better than the popular Icom rig, fixed station or Pota usage.

W6AAM likes this.
  6. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I absolutely HATE my 891. It has caused me nothing but inconvenience from installing it into my truck to its operation. I cannot put enough emphasis on how much I hate it.

Don't get me started on the ATAS-120 either.

W6AAM likes this.
  7. W6AAM

W6AAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like you need to dump it...Cheap! I know a guy...

M1CQB and KI5AAI like this.
  8. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

'891 is a REALLY good little radio.
    The receiver is astoundingly competent.

9. KI5AAI

KI5AAI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an FT-891 for POTA and any other portable stuff I want to do. It does not have an internal tuner. If I am going to need one I have an MFJ-839 mount to the radio and it can be removed easily if I do not need it.

Once you get the recieve set up...it works great!

W6AAM likes this.
  10. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice -- I'm running a manual tuner with mine too, and quite happy with it. I don't mind tuning, and one less thing to power.

KE0EYJ likes this.