Yaesu FT-891 - somebody knows

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W4FBI, Mar 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4FBI

W4FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Somebody knows why this is (probably some Yaesu engineer in Japan)

I bought this 891 knowing that it (erroneously) defaults to 50 watts. (no, it is not the Japan Model). I figured just a menu setting or Firmware. Nope.

I installed the new (Feb 2021) Firmware. (actually, a couple of times)

Yes, performed Full Reset (both ways)

Menu 16-01 HF SSB PWR is supposed to default to 100 (mine defaults to 50 and will only adjust downward)
    Menu 16-03 HF PWR is supposed to default to 100 (mine defaults to 50 and will only adjust downward)
    Menu 16-04 50M SSB PWR is supposed to default to 100 (mine defaults to 50 and will only adjust downward)

Display Shows Firmware:

18-01 Main Version V01-09
    18-02 DSP Version V02-04
    18-03 LCD Version V01-01

I am not alone here - WD8BWW has the same problem with his 891.

Please don't suggest that I send it to Yaesu. They do not perform board level repair. They want to sell me the whole main board - cost prohibitive.

Yes, the two 'jumpers' are correct leading into the CPU. (no MARS Mod here)

I have a new CPU on order from Yaesu. Who knows when I'll get it. It's been over a month now.

Everything works perfectly on this machine - except that 50 watts default.

I'm stymied

Alan, W4FBI

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The "50 watts only" thing very commonly in Yaesu is "emergency mode" - it allows an internal Yaesu antenna tuner to work with up to a 10:1 VSWR tuning challenge, as opposed to the normal 3:1 ratio that the Yaesu tuners are limited to. On my FTDX101MP it must be invoked manually and does not turn itself off automatically if the antenna situation changes.

I don't know that radio - but maybe peruse the menus and look for "Emergency Mode" and turn that off.

Just a suggestion - again, I do NOT know the specifics of that radio but I'm very familiar with the Yaesu "50 watt emergency mode"

Dave
    W7UUU

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont they usually use a different final output module in the Japanese models??!!

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it 50 Watts or 50 Percent ?

5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

5 will get you 10 that the original owner DID get a Japanese model, and.....
    (or the wrong output module was installed by the factory)

6. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Did someone remove the wrong diode for a "mod"?

7. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure about that? The emergency mode you describe is on Icom transceivers.

The only emergency provision on the 891 I had, and on my current FTdx-10 was for the Alaska Emergency Frequency.

8. VE1IC

VE1IC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure on this particular radio, but some have a RF power limit setting, so folks don't blow up their amps by accident. Some have a switch on the board, a setting in a menu or someone screwed around with settings in the service menu.

9. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alan and i have two different radios doing the same thing. The radio is fully capable of 100 watts. In fact I can trick the radio by setting the service menu to transmit at 100 watts on a 50 watt user setting. As Alan states, the actual user menu will not allow a setting greater than 50w. There is something telling the firmware to limit the following settings to a maximum of 50w. On a normal radio the following menus can be set to 100W. Not on these two radios. The one I have, like Alan's I purchased broken. The owner attempted a MARS mod, just like on his radio.

Menu 16-01 HF SSB PWR is supposed to default to 100 (mine defaults to 50 and will only adjust downward)
    Menu 16-03 HF PWR is supposed to default to 100 (mine defaults to 50 and will only adjust downward)
    Menu 16-04 50M SSB PWR is supposed to default to 100 (mine defaults to 50 and will only adjust downward)

10. W4FBI

W4FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Japanese version of the FT-891 is FT-891M (and is labelled as such).