Yaesu FT-891 separation cables & bracket: same as FT-857D?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K5VV, Sep 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K5VV

K5VV Ham Member QRZ Page

The radios look very similar. Tuner & Data mini-DIN ports are similar per the manuals. Looks like the power cable connector is different.

Any idea if the separation cables (control head & mic) and mounting bracket are the same?

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not remote controllable like the 857 is (separate head). It does have a ethernet port, and a remote key pad so some of the functions can use remoted. The software isn't out there yet, so no one really knows to what extent it is remotely controllable.

3. K5VV

K5VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm asking about the separation cables for use in a vehicle (10-15' between radio & head). Not remote over the Internet.

4. K0BG

According to their web site, and preliminary information on the transceiver, it does not have a removable head. You can download the manual from Yaesu's site.

5. K5VV

K5VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Are we talking about the same radio?
    2017-09-07 09_04_04-FT-891_OM.pdf (SECURED) - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.png

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

They are NOT the same.

857d has TWO cables
    891 has three

7. K5VV

K5VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, I thought the 857D has three. Control head, microphone, speaker. I guess you could use two and plug the speaker into the headphone jack on the control head.

8. K0BG

You did say FT-891. The mobile bracket is a MMB-82, and I don't know if that is the same one or not. But the only remote for the FT-891 is a remote keypad. Here is the link for the manual. FT-891 Operating Manual

9. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT-891 Brochure states that the front panel is detachable and lists the separation kit as YSK-891.

I have no idea if it is the same as the 857 separation kit, but the kit model numbers are different for sure.

10. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Matthew,

It would appear to me, based on comparing the YSK-891 image from GigaParts.com

yaesu-ysk891.jpg
    to the YSK-857 image from Radio World (UK)

YSK-857.jpg

the cabling appears to be the same, however the mounting nest for the control head seems to be different.

For what it's worth, MMB-82 is the mounting bracket for the main unit.

Also, from my experience, the neither the microphone extension cable, nor the Control Head extension cable are shielded nor choked, as supplied in YSK-857. The Speaker extension may or may not have a choke bead molded into the plug end, but not separately clipped around the wire. My point is that generic wiring can be substituted, provided the power supply and antenna cabling are installed appropriately.

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW