ad: Alphaant-1

Yaesu FT-891 Initial Impressions from an Outdoor Ham Radio Operator

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Jul 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tnx. I will stay tuned. Bill J2L

2. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't read the review closely, or missed updates, apparently?

I think I was pretty clear about the 7300 vs. the 891, but I know people see "better than the 7300," and get into a tizzy. I even stated that I enjoy operating the 7300 more. But yes, the 891 does a far better job of reducing noise issues in the city -- mainly on 40m. It's a quirky radio, but I much prefer it on 40m over the 7300. Not even a contest, when it comes to bringing clarity of 40m in a noisy city location. An external speaker is a MUST on the 891. The NR of the Icom does nothing but dither-out signals into obscurity. The 891's NR setting of 1 (combined with a correct use of RF Gain) is like switching on a light. Gotta combine it with the RF Gain, though.

On higher bands, I much prefer the 7300.

I will probably be selling the 891 later this year. I agree that it's a bit of a menu handful for portable work. It's also proving too dirty for me. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it gets into too many poorly-filtered electronics in my building. The 7300 does not. I don't need to care much about the 891 doing that on top of a mountain, but I do work off of rooftop gardens here in Korea, and don't like people hearing my callsign over their cheap computer speakers.

Hoping to go with a different Yaesu, with this upgraded 32-bit NR, and hopefully a much cleaner Tx. Or might give a Kenwood a try.

Would love to pick up a slightly older not-so-shiny rig with really great filtering and RX sound. The more I use these things, the more I feel it's about filtering and antennas. Am curious to see how "great" some recent radios are, once we enter a better sunspot period and signals are all over the place.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    US7IGN and W5KV like this.
  3. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i read the blog and re-read it to make sure I had it correct. Did I mis-state your position? I think i got it right and also agree with it - if interpreted correctly --
    What I interpreted from the blog: The 891 is better for city noise and the NR -DSP works more effectively for city noise, such as what you're encountering in the urban environs of Seoul over similar feature in the 7300; I sure wish that technology existed when I was living in the concrete jungles of Tokyo, Manila, over the years...

It's a matter of different tools for different battles. I dont live in the city, so I dont see any benefit to the 891 over the 7300... As for older radios with great filtering, I still put my drake R4C aside most receivers and the drake remains very competitive. As for more modern receivers, the yaesu 1000D is a bargain now days provided it's loaded with the 6 IF filters (x $80-$100 each).

US7IGN likes this.
  4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to look into a 1000D, after I move back home. I also would love an aging FTDX5000, but worry about those blue lights going out again.

5. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a video that was posted here...

6. AD4XT

AD4XT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great so see you make the switch Johnny. I enjoy all of your videos . I have been using my 891 for about 10 months now.
    90% of my activity is portable, POTA ect. 100watts and the small size an weight not to mention the price. Pair this radio with a Bioenno 20a battery and you rock most of the day. Hope to catch you on the air one day. :) Steve ad4xt

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. :)

W5KV likes this.
  8. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a nice little economical rig especially when you consider the inflated prices on ebay for really old Icom 706 and FT 100D rigs ( It resembles an FT100D too ).

No rig is perfect for everyone but apparently it has been selling well.

G3SEA/KH6

9. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have operated mobile CW on this rig since last year. I have no trouble with its menus while driving, as I don't touch anything but the tuning knob and my straight key!
    I seldom switch bands anyway in the truck. So, I keep it simple and hence the menus are a moot point. Great radio, in my opinion!

US7IGN likes this.
  10. N4TCM

N4TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

11. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't compare 891 with 706/100/857 because the lack of vhf/uhf. My 706mk2g RX current is also abt 1A. And you really don't need noise reduction outside the city where such type of radio was designed to use.