Yaesu FT-857d With Swan Mark 1 Amplifier hookup question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KB1KMF, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1KMF

KB1KMF Ham Member QRZ Page

I just picked up this Swan mark 1 Amplifier and want to hook it to my Ft-857d. The guy I got it from said I will need a relay between the radio and tuner, and I want to be sure I have this hooked up correctly. I am running power from the 13.8 volt pin and using the TX GND pin on the CAT receptacle to activate this small relay that draws 44ma. The other end of the relay uses an normally open contact to control the amp. I just don't want to damage my rig and would love the input from someone a little more experience than me in hooking these old amps to modern transceivers. Thanks!

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just make sure that the contacts in the relay can handle the voltage and current from the Mark I.

Glen, K9STH

3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be fine if you are triggering a small relay with the radio which in turn triggers the amp. That is OK. The problem you may have is that the Swan Mark I does not have a tuned input circuit which may make your rig fold back with drive power. Unless you have a tuner in the rig which can compensate for this, you may be short on drive power if the rig folds back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.