Yaesu FT-857D TX ERROR on 5mhz,10mhz, 15mhz,18mhz, and 24.5mhz bands, HELP?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W4AJF, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W4AJF

W4AJF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all, I have a Yaesu FT-857D I just received and I get a "TX ERROR" on these bands: 5mhz,10mhz, 15mhz,18mhz, and 24.5mhz bands. As soon as you key the mic (in any mode), you get a TX error and the radio will not key up. ALL other bands have full output.

If anyone is familiar with the FT-857D and can help it would sure be appreciated. CPU has of course been reset.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
    Woodland Hills, CA
    adamf@eeco.com

2. W8XV

W8XV Ham Member QRZ Page

A few things come to mind.

1. very high swr. (Try a dummy load)
    2. out of band transmit (stay within band limits)
    3. do a hard reset (this restores all settings to default)
    4. out of band mod gone bad (hence why it was Sold)

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Be careful you're trying to transmit within the amateur band. On 5 MHz, there are only exactly five frequencies we can transmit on; if you're dialed to anything else, you should get a TX ERROR. 10 MHz, you can only transmit from 10.1 to 10.15 MHz, period. There is no amateur band at 15 MHz. 18 MHz you must be between 18.068 and 18.168. 24 MHz, there's no band at 24.5: You must be between 24.890 and 24.990.

Are you making sure you're actually "in the band?"

4. W4AJF

Hi, I ALWAYS test in to the dummy load so it has nothing to do with SWR. Did hard reset as mentioned and on the bands mentioned, I get a TX error anywhere I try, be it at 10.200mhz or anywhere. MAYBE it is an out of band mod that went bad, that seems to be the only thing that makes sense so I will try to check that.

Thanks to all,

Adam Farber W4AJF

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who said anything about SWR? The TX ERROR means you're trying to transmit on the wrong frequency.

You cannot transmit on 10.2 MHz (legally).

6. W8XV

W8XV Ham Member QRZ Page

As WB2WIK said, 10.2 is a no go. Try between 10.1 to 10.150
    What about 160, 80, 40, 20? Have you tried there.
    The radio wont transmit out of band.
    I see your a Tech. Have you tried 10m or 2m?

7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no 15 MHz ham band.

The radio is set up to give TX Error whenever you try to transmit outside the ham bands.

The frequency/mode ranges of the ham bands for US amateurs are listed here:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Hambands-color.pdf

Also, as a Technician, you don't have any priviledges in any of those bands you listed. So you should be using a dummy load with minimal power (it's still possible for someone to pick you up, even using a dummy load, if you're using much power).

8. W4AJF

Hi All, I just checked and it appears as if someone tried to Mars mod it and did not do it properly, thus the TX Error message. Following info from the internet I re soldered the jumpers as they should be done for the CORRECT Mars mod and I am happy to say it works 100%!

Thanks to all who replied.

Adam Farber W4AJF

9. W8XV

W8XV Ham Member QRZ Page

The out of band mod causes this radio to lose some of its key features. Such as the pre programed 60m band channels and the 2m band will not have the automatic shift for repeaters. Its a great radio without the mod.

10. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So you can now transmit illeagally on all of the frequencies listed above? ...heh...

JJMARETS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.