Yaesu FT 857 LCD Display (zebra stripe) repair.

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by WD8BWW, Nov 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5DJD

K5DJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I meant to say; Sent it on Thursday and got it back on Monday. Andy's good but not same day-good when I 300 miles away. LOL I bet if I brought it to him, it would have been same day though.

2. VE3SJU

VE3SJU Ham Member QRZ Page

Andy
    I would take you up on your offer to play with some old boards you have laying around, how much to send a couple to canada?

VE3SJU

3. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

VE3SJU I started and conversation with you to get details etc.

4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Andy,
    I am little slow on the draw , but I would also be interested in "basket case" control head to play with.
    Of course it it "lights up" would be prefer, but not mandatory.

73 Shirley

5. KG5KOH

KG5KOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sent my 857d control head in, turnaround was less than a day, and the head looks brand new. Couldn’t be happier.

Attached Files:

6. AA7EJ

That is great, however....
    How does your "happiness" solve the crappy design?

But it is still a free country and I am glad for your support of "economy".

73 Shirley

7. WD8BWW

KG5KOH thanks for the kind words.

8. WD8BWW

Component level repair of radios is how I enjoy the hobby and I have gotten a lot of radios back on the air for customers for a fraction of the cost of an assembly swap. I guess I never got over building Heathkit Radios.

Unfortunately, due to a design change around 5 years ago the only way to fix the 857 stripe problem is to replace the entire control board assembly. What I wish to offer is a less expensive alternative to buying a new head. The only thing reused in my service is and volume control, VFO encoder, and the plastic parts.

As for the design:
    I'm not a dealer so I have nothing to gain or lose. If you are thinking about buying an 857 I believe for the capability, size and price you can't beat the radio. A mobile HF/VHF/UHF high power radio the size of a CB has always amazed me. I believe, based on the number of 857 in service the actual percentage of failures are very low.

I can make the following statement of fact. All of the 857 control heads I have serviced in the past 4 years have been the old LCD design, and in service for years. I have repaired 2 of the new LCD designs in the 4 years. One was in a semi tractor fire, heat and smoke damaged the LCD. And one, just recently, had been hit and the LCD glass was broken. Both were able to be refurbished.

I service all types of radios. They ALL have issues that surface over time. I repair them all because they all break.

Just remember there are Rolls -Royce mechanics.

9. AA7EJ

Sorry, I did not realize WHERE you send it.
    I erroneously assumed you send it to the vendor.
    My apology.

73 Shirley