Yaesu FT 857 LCD Display (zebra stripe) repair.

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by WD8BWW, Nov 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. SV4RJA

SV4RJA Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KA1VT

KA1VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can tell you it happens in the NorthEast as well

3. K4OIB

K4OIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same problem with my 857d. til I sent it back to Yeasu in Cypress, Ca.
    Tech tolf me the LED displays are not available but I had to buuy a brand news head for $300.00.
    works and looks like a new radio. It is not used mobile and if I ever do I will remove the head when not in use.
    K4OIB

4. XV2PS

XV2PS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just ordered a new head for... 425 euros :(

5. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

At the current exchange rate that is about $485 (U. S. Dollars). Correct? I had to look the exchange rate up. I remember about what the German Mark to U.S. Dollar exchange rate was 40 years ago, but don't have much need to know the Euro rate.

6. K5DJD

K5DJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the same problem of an older FT 857. I called Yaesu and they said that they DO sell the part (LCD mounted on the PCB) for $180. They also will install the part if I send the head to them, for an additional $50. ($230 for part and labor), plus CA sales tax and return shipping.
    Please don’t be offended, Andy, but why would I have you make the relain when I can have Yaesu do the job for the same price? Their turn time is 10-14 days. I’m happy to give business to a local vendor, but also see value in the factory doing the work on their own equipment. Just asking.

Attached Files:

7. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Since this thread has been resurrected I like to post this.

From experience with few LCD's I still believe the issue is the way the LCD substrate - the actual display - is pressure connected to supporting PCB where all the control stuff happens.
    Even under microscope you can hardly tell the conductive pads on the glass.

I do understand the financial issues - having the innards replaced with perhaps modified LCD by factory as opposed having the whole control head replaced.

I bought mine years ago from another ham I met while still living in WWA for $600.
    Funny- it came from FL , hence has reason to develop stripes.

I just cannot see paying over $400 for NEW head while comparing with the original used rig price.

Anyway, here is my proposal.

If anybody is getting new control head I would like to be on the receiving end of the old one - as long
    as it lights up. Just do not trow it away in trash.

Then I would like to take it apart , in my spare time, to find out WHY it is failing and see if it can be fixed permanently by using better mounting hardware.

After I fix it I would do same with my OWN control head AND then have sort of "control head exchange".

You send me your working one, but with zebra stripes and I send you the refurbished / fixed one in exchange.

Just a thought, I am not looking to making it for profit, I am just curious if it is
    feasible to fix the problem without buying a new head or LCD.
    That's is all.

73 Shirley

8. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like I have two responses I'd like to address
    Shirley AA7EJ if you want to play with with old displays how many bad display boards would you like? Send your response to my email address. Andyit28@gmail.com or call me 816 223 3246. You can power just the board up without the rest of the control head if you want to play.

On the old head topic. For those who purchased a new Control Head don't chuck the your old control head. I can use it as a core. I refurbish them, I'm always asked by people that want to buy complete refurbished heads for extras vs. the cost of a new one. If you have one contact me on my email or call 816 223 3246.

K5DJD the difference in my service is two major items. I don't just repair the LCD, I recondition the whole head. I figure the best way to compete against buying a new head is to make your head look new for less than the cost of a new one. While the head is all apart I clean everything. I refurbish the head completely.
    The other item is a one day turn around. My price is all inclusive. You pay $250. 95% percent of the Control Heads I refurb look exactly like a new one. Here are pictures of a Control Head I refurbished for a customer this week. before, after, and ready to ship

Attached Files:

KT4RK and W1TRY like this.
  9. K5DJD

K5DJD Ham Member QRZ Page

After stewing over whether to send my head unit to Yaesu, or to Andy, I called both and spoke to them ( a novel idea in today's age). Hands down, the decision was to send the unit to Andy. Firstly, I found both to be knowledgeable, but Yaesu was frank and didn't really seem to care if I went with then, or not. (They probably do so much volume, that one PC swap on a 10-year old radio was, perhaps, no big deal). Then, I spoke with Andy. His passion for the radio and this issues really impressed me. I didn't get any sense that he was in a hurry, or just looking to make the sale. Then i asked about turn around time: Yaesu-TWO WEEKS!! Andy-ONE DAY. I sent FedEx'd the unit on Thursday, he got it on Friday, I had it back on Monday WOW!!!, and he stayed in contact with me the while time, sending before and after pictures and, in general, acting like a man who loves what he does. The condition of the head unit was like a brand new head.

There is absolutely, no doubt in my mind that i made the right decision.

Thanks you Andy, and 73s

Denis, K5DJD

10. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Denis, Thanks for the kind words.
    73s Andy WD8BWW