ad: vanity

Yaesu FT 857 LCD Display (zebra stripe) repair.

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by WD8BWW, Nov 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT 857 control head LCD (zebra stripe) repair. If you have the zebra stripes on your Yaesu 857 Control head and would like a crystal clear display again this would solve that problem. I disassemble the head completely. Clean everything then I install all new electronics (control board with new LCD) from Yaesu. This repair will also fix a defective head. US. $240 + $10SH. I accept PayPal, Credit Card, check, or MO. Phone number 816-223 3246.

Attached Files:

2. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool, but calling replacement repair is misleading
    But that don't look like zebra I have seen or been told about.
    That is pretty much "goner".

The consensus of the FT 857 users group always been exposure to environment - going mobile - is primary reason for this failure.
    The LCD contacts are just by pressure on the supporting PCB - sometime it can be resolved by "more" pressure - the question is how to make it permanent.

Of course cheap design has always been my view of the problem.

My zebra is pretty much a moving target , never been mobile but was used on few Field days in humid Texas.
    When I get ambitious and zebra gets 5 or more stripes I'll try the "zip-lock bag filled with rice " trick.

73 Shirley

3. WD8BWW

WD8BWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Shirley, you are correct, this is an environment caused failure. Older radios in mobile service in hot summer environment do develop over time the LCD issue. Every repair I have done has been on heads from the southern US and a few from Australia.

You are also correct, I use the term "repair" because I consider this the repair of the Control Head not the LCD. I have a box of old LCD'd and I have tried to find ways to repair them but never found a lasting fix. This approach of replacing the control assembly also allows me to turn around the heads a one day.

I also want to add, I love the 857 and her sister the 897. They are amazing in that you have a 100 watt HF rig plus 2 meters and 440 all in a package the size of a CB. They are also easy to fix at a component level for other issues beyond the LCD, I love repairing them.

W3ATV likes this.