Yaesu FT-840 main board removal

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W1SPS, Oct 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1SPS

W1SPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

I have an FT-840 and I have re-capped the Local Unit Board and the 100MPa board.

In attempting Re-cap the Main Board the radio powers up, CAT control will change channels, tuning works fine, but will not TX and there's no sound to the speaker or to AF out on back panel.

Now, I'm pretty good at soldering but I'm sure there is a chance that a solder pad at the top side of a via might have gotten yanked off with a capacitor. So I want to remove all the new caps and put them back one by one after checking each and every capacitor thru hole. Now that I have a magnifying lamp. I'm sure it's just one dumb connection.

However... In order to more easily get to everything and not stress the connections. How do you remove the main board? There are 2 or 3 grey (2 wire) cables that go to what I imagine to be a jumper JP1001 is one of them. How do you remove these? All the other connectors come off no problem, except these little suckers.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Rich ~W1SPS