ad: M2Ant-1

SOLD Yaesu ft-818

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by W4SOU, Nov 19, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4SOU

W4SOU Ham Member QRZ Page

for sale is a Yaesu ft-818
    Bought from hro earlier this year
    Has less than 5 hours operating time on it
    Have too many radio, need to thin out the shack and fund other interests
    Original box, Radio, power connector with powerpoles, leather case, CAT control cable, Microphone,
    AA battery holder, rechargeable battery still in plastic as well as charger
    Ldg 817 tuner with cables
    Paypal only
    Email good on QRZ
    $600 shipped anywhere in USA

Attached Files:

2. W7EAZ

W7EAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The display appears to be non-functional with the large dark area. Can you explain?

3. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I would guess by the shape of the glob on the display it is the shadow of the main dial. Looking at the shadows on the hat makes me think this person is using a side light. I too would like a better picture of the display or at least some clarification.

4. W4SOU

It is a shadow and my iPad camera is giving off that Contrast problem.Will try to get a better picture tomorrow. But The condition is like new no trouble with display.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Digital displays "strobe" - cameras are largely "instant" - so the camera will capture only that part of the screen that is "lit" at that instant of time.

So when you take photos, take a LOT - surely one of them will capture the precise instant when the "strobing" of the display matches the "window in which the 'shutter' is open" on the camera device. VERY common problem when photographing screens.

If using a "real camera" you can set it for "shutter priority" and set the shutter to something like 1/8" second or so, to capture the full strobe of the display.

Dave
    W7UUU

KG9R likes this.
  6. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Strange how the "strobe" effect was captured exactly the same in both photos. There must be something else causing this. I've taken many many pictures of my 817 (without a "real" camera) and have never had any darkening of any area of the display like the original post. 20191119_013516.jpg

7. W1GN

W1GN Subscriber QRZ Page

Most likely: because the OP's photo was taken facing the light source - camera algorithm choose fastest shutter speed.
    Your photo taken in properly darkened environment - at considerably slower shutter speed.

KG9R likes this.
  8. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's called a refresh rate. If the shutter speed on your camera is faster than the refresh rate, you risk capturing part or even none of the image. A similar thing can happen with LCD screens as the pixels refresh, often creating a herringbone pattern. I still contend is a shadow. Otherwise it would be over the entire screen if it's a "strobe". Anyway I'll let all the professional photographers argue amongst themselves. Yes and only use "real cameras" for QRZ swapmeet photos. Please make sure your "real camera" is verified.

N4EYZ likes this.
  9. W4SOU

New pictures

Attached Files:

10. W1GN

W1GN Subscriber QRZ Page

The display on this radio is fine. The new pictures present a learning opportunity. Thanks to the reference photo from W3ATT, we can see that the hue saturation in the bottom right quadrant is normal for this model. Notice that all 3 photos have this identical characteristic:
    4.jpg
    The lower right quadrant of the displays have become polarized producing polychromatic distortion. All radios with high-density plastic or polycarbonate shields will do this due to heat. There must be a heat source in that area. I have owned a dozen Kenwoods and they are lousy with this effect.
    While radios with glass shields (the VX-7r comes to mind) can't polarize. (well, they will under nuclear bombardment, but that is another story)
    If you wish to test this effect, observe your radio's display in full-spectrum light (sun or some LEDs like a my Phillips L-prize) wearing polarized sunglasses.

11. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read the Swapmeet Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Got questons? Contact our moderation team here...

All Sellers Must Be Verified As of July 1, 2019, only Verified Users are permitted to post in this forum.