ad: ProAudio-1

Yaesu FT-818 to be Released!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3BL, Feb 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VK3BL

VK3BL Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear Ham Friends,

In a special Rate My Radio News Bulletin, we tender evidence that the Yaesu FT-818 will be released this year :)

If you want to skip the news parody and FCC Filing Analysis, the FCC filing can be found here:
    https://fccid.io/K6603770X30

Jarrad

2. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that you should have waited until more information was available. Just sayin'.

OH8STN and WD4IGX like this.
  3. K5RHD

K5RHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K3SZ likes this.
  4. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yawn! Sounds like fake news.

5. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Kind of curious why in this age of SDR technology, this one isn't. Sounds like it may already be behind the times. I hope not. I really enjoyed my 817 for years until the Kx3 came along.

6. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

My first big, nice radio was an FT-101E and that was back in 1977.

I would love to see Yaesu be successful with a nice SDR on the market.

73's,

7. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Such rumors of a FT817 replacement I.e. FT818 have been going around for over 5 years.

I'll take it seriously when DEEP discounts appear in FT 817 prices.There is much competition in QRP rigs in the price range(even without 2m and 70cm) so pricing as well as legendary 817 ruggedness would have to be maintained IMHO.

K0PIR and K8XG like this.
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Its just a few test results. None of it actually says that it is going to be "released", whatever that would mean.

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know it isn't?

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe because on the reciever test reports posted on the FCC site, it says "Receiver Circuit Type: Superheterodyne"

11. KC8VWM

As I understand it, ham radio SDR designs still utilize traditional analog superhet circuits to receive and down convert the signal.

12. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Plus if it was an SDR why would they stop the VHF coverage at 154 MHz like the 817?

I think its going to be just a 817 with some improvements that were enough to require a new equipment authorization instead of continuing under the 817's authorization or a Permissive Change.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  13. KC8VWM

Ok you win. :)

That was always one of the major sticking points with the FT-817. No NOAA weather reception.

Hard to believe Yaesu would release an updated version without that capability after all the whining they must have heard about it over the years.

14. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

If I win a 818 I'll sell it to you cheap!

KC8VWM likes this.
  15. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Something else I just thought of is maybe one or more components used in the 817 are, or will be, no longer available but they didn't want to discontinue production and there is no suitable substitute that could be used legally without a design change that required a new equipment authorization.