ad: MLSons-1

Yaesu FT-818 -- The FT-817ND Replacement Available Soon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Feb 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If this guy who builds radios into small self contained boxes can fit a phone rig into the mix, and a charge controller in the lid, I'd buy one tomorrow. http://radiosetgo.com/#/

2. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AE4LH, G3SEA and KB2QQM like this.
  3. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

So, essentially you're cherry-picking, here...... you have identified an alternative, but realize that it doesn't truly stack up to the Yaesu FT-818 (at least in terms of the quality level you expect for the price).

The FT-817ND / FT-818 IS a "one radio jack of all trades radio"...but it's rather short-sided to think of it as an HF radio only...... What about the weak signal VHF/UHF guys? What are their alternatives?....there are even fewer choices in this market. And, truly....I think Yaesu understands their market share here......there really is no competition for a portable, QRP shack-in-a-box (HF/VHF/UHF) radio at this price point and quality level.

I believe the radio will keep on selling....which is why they probably decided not to scrap it....

This option will appeal to some buyers (HF/6m only)....and those who don't truly need a low power consumption radio......in much the same way VHF/UHF guys will consider the FT-857D in the same circumstances......of course the FT-891 is a new radio.....the FT-857D is dated and I wonder about it's future.....and then what alternative will there be?

73, Valentino VE6MB

KK5R likes this.
  4. K7BMG

K7BMG QRZ Lifetime Member #55 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think this is nothing more than a smart marketing strategy on the part of Yaesu. IMO
    I don't think they want to re-engineer the 817-818 at a larger cost. Why...
    I am positive the annual sales of 817's going out the door is hitting an all time low as the market at this point is saturated.
    Along with the fact that there are thousands of used units to be had everywhere, I mean really, if you want an 817 of any flavor tell me that you can't have one on the way within the hour. Yaesu clearly knows this as well, and can see it reflected in their declining sales each year.
    They have done the checks and balances on the line, determining how many 817 parts they have on hand and part orders placed yet to be filled.
    Compared past and future sales and came up with a solution.

So to boost a slowing 817 market they add a cheap cost effective minimal upgrade on an item that can use up the parts and pieces that can't be
    repurposed to a different model altogether and have a final potential windfall.
    On the negative side this also has the markers revealing the end of the line for the 817-818 radios.

Its just smart business strategy. Sounds crazy but it works, and happens often.

I had a very successful marketing strategist prove to me this.
    A major convenience store gas station chain sold hot dogs for .99 a piece. The stores averaged 18 to 20 hot dog sales a day.
    Total cost of the product including handling, cooking, packaging, waste ETC was like .48 the rest profit.
    So he they whom ever came up with the twofer concept. Two dogs for .99.
    Boom, the sales of each store exploded from 20 to 300 plus per day per store. The product cost dropped drastically based on the sheer volume of product now being purchased. In the end the cost of two dogs prepared for sale was .22 and the profit was .78 cents a sale, with an unprecedented sales volume increase ever thought possible.

KK5R likes this.