ad: Mountaingoat-1

Yaesu FT-818 Beginner's Guide

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WC0O, Mar 11, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WC0O

WC0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanted to share a video on how to use an FT-818. Basic operations like where is the VFO button, how to change the IPO settings, the steps when changing frequencies, etc. Enjoy.

KI5SAI, N0ZNA, KB6JEN and 8 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

KA0USE, KC7ZXY, BU2GG and 1 other person like this.
  3. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is my 818 wisdom: If you use the 3d printed powerpole adapter, you will constantly drain the battery at an incredible rate. You must use a powerpole adapter with a resistor bridged across the powerpoles. The 818 (but not the 817) enables a trickle charger circuit when something is in the DC power jack (like the DC jack of the powerpole connector) and without power being applied the trickle charge circuit drains the battery.

KD9SSY, K3RW, M0KFH and 5 others like this.
  4. KG7WOC

KG7WOC Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not recommend connecting "a resistor" across the DC input lines... If you are using the radio portable, then yes, you are draining the battery; if not, then you should disconnected the internal battery IAW the manual. Why not just make a cable with power pole connectors ?

5. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd be curious if anyone know what the major difference(s) are between the 817 and the 818?

6. N9LTW

N9LTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Output power increase, built in TCXO and larger battery pack.

KQ1V likes this.
  7. N9LTW

Power output increased from a maximum of 5 to 6 watts
    Built-in TCXO-9 high-stability oscillator (only an option in 817 models)
    Higher-capacity SBR-32MH 9.6 Volt 1900 mAh NiMH battery pack included

PY2NEA likes this.
  8. NT0D

Constantly connecting and disconnecting the battery has caused some wear and damage to the battery for me, due to the tight-fitting compartment.

I've read and seen pictures in ham groups of resistor values that close the trickle circuit. It's tricky to put the resistor in then get the powerpoles connected but I saw a picture of it. Recommended was a 33k ohm resistor. I'll see if I can find the pictures and threads. The trickle charger circuit activating with something plugged into the DC power port (but not powered), and causing battery drain, is a well-documented issue. It is a mid-level inconvenience to have to disconnect either the powerpole adapter or the battery every time you stop using the radio, especially if you are using it as a base station (as I am, it is my only HF/ 6 meter radio).

Edit: Here is one thread talking about the resistor to stop battery drain.
    "On the FT-818ND the "leakage" jumps to 4mA when a plug is inserted into the radio - regardless of whether it is a powerpole adapter or any other type of power source. This will destroy the internal battery in less than a week." Which I haven't found to be true, my internal battery works just fine, but this is a weel documented issue and this thread discusses the resistor placement and value: https://groups.io/g/ft817/topic/90795742#112816

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    KE8QDB and N4FZ like this.
  9. NT0D

I love my 818. I use it for everything and take it mobile as much as possible.

N0ZNA, HB9HWY, N4TTW and 3 others like this.
  10. K3DK

K3DK Ham Member QRZ Page

11. M0SAZ

M0SAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sold the battery as soon as I got the radio as I intended to use the radio only at home or with a SLA battery at a push.

N0ZNA, N7KO and N4FZ like this.
  12. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Windcamp makes a 3000 mAh mod. internal battery that comes with charger and internal charge controller. There is an access panel that replaces the stock battery panel on the body of the radio. On it is a pole connector for charging and an "on - off" switch that is used when you charge the battery (off position), for using with an external battery (off position), and for disengaging the battery when the radio is not being used or is in storage; ergo, no resistor needed. This prevents the battery from being drained when being stored or turned off. I have installed this (Windcamp mod.) in my 817-ND, and it is far better than the stock battery that came with it. I don't know if the stock battery with the 818 is any better. The 818 will draw more power on standby than the 817. This is not good (for me). One watt as well is not a great upgrade and is not even negligible on transmit. The only advantage of this might be when driving an amp and the one watt may increase output depending on the amp., but I don't do amps. I always run QRP when in the field and eek out much of the 5w as possible with the rest of my system - for me that is part of the challenge and Art of Amateur Radio. Upgrading to the 818 would only hurt me.

N0ZNA and KF7PCL like this.
  13. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

Highly disappointing. Still a 9.6V battery yet the radio wants 11.5+V. No Li-Ion upgrade which would have had a much better impact on the power to weight ratio. After 20 years, still no speech compressor on a QRP rig

N0ZNA and K7GYB like this.
  14. N9LTW

Discontinuing the old FT-817/818 is sad, I see it as the first step of a new model coming. Don't misunderstand me please, I have always loved the 897 and 817 style. They are great all around radios but, they are showing their gray hair. I have owned a FT-897 in years past and now I have FT-897D model and enjoy it. I always wanted a 817, I just never pulled the trigger on one until the FT-818 model was released. As for batteries, I like and use Bioenno Power batteries with my 818, TX-500 and X6100.
    73 de N9LTW

N0ZNA, K3DK, N7KO and 1 other person like this.
  15. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

A great little rig that has been a daily driver for me for 3 plus years, I hope you enjoy it Frank. I now split air time between it and my other radio but it is still used regularly. It's a great foundation for a compact station with all modes and nearly every band you could want to use. A Swiss Army Knife of radios that doesn't excel at any one thing but does most things well. I'll likely always have one around as it's a handy little rig.

N0ZNA and K7GYB like this.