Yaesu FT-736R Question? Is there a memory battery and if so... where is it located?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K0ATG, May 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Digi Key isn't the only circus in town. Did you "shop around"?? Mouser has the coin sell battteries, has no minimum order, ships USPS, and same day shipping.
    Part # 658-CR-2032/CVR $1.10
    http://www.mouser.com/?cm_mmc=google-_-ppc-_-americas-_-Local Campaign (Texas)&gclid=CIPJu4_2-bMCFS-RPAodglcAjA

KM5FL

2. K0ATG

K0ATG Ham Member QRZ Page

I canceled my order with DigiKey.

I found a couple with cheaper shipping.

Thanks

3. K0ATG

Mousers shipping is a tad cheaper but it has to ship UPS or FedEx.

USPS won't allow lithium in their shipments. Just like ammo.

I ordered some batteries, but I don't feel confident taking a soldering iron to my radio in order to change a battery.

I'm surprised Yaesu couldn't have used a battery like this?

191607295551882435592.jpg

If there was a radio repair facility close by I wouldn't hesitate to just have it done professionally.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

UNLESS you have an issue, forget the battery replacement, at this time.

The microprocessor on that control board is Unobtainium -
    so you would highly desire ESD bench for desoldering/soldering during changeout.
    ---
    Lithium Battery shipments (of any size) are being limited by logistic carriers in past 2 years.
    They get very nervous with Transoceanic shipments.

In USPS Priority Mail's case,
    they often can not guarantee it would not be shipped by air --
    in cargo hold of domestic passenger airline!!
    ---
    Batteries Plus retail stires, throughout the USA, are another option.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  5. K0ATG

I ordered the battery and if I can get someone qualified to change it for me I will.

At least I found out where it is and that it's definitely soldered in.

Thanks..

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Rig was designed mid-80s; they had no way of knowing this would become a problem...it was 30 years ago.

You need help to solder two pins...c'mon.:eek:

But if you don't clip another battery across the terminals when replacing the battery, you'll lose all your memories; that's really the only issue.

Note the battery only functions when the rig is turned OFF. If the rig is powered on and operational, the battery isn't doing anything. So, if your memories still work as of today and you don't want to change the battery, just leave it turned on permanently and you won't lose any memories.

7. K0ATG

"But if you don't clip another battery across the terminals when replacing the battery, you'll lose all your memories; that's really the only issue."

If my memories remained when I power off I wouldn't have started this post.

I can solder, but have old shaky hands...LOL

I found a amateur radio repair facility that will replace battery while I wait for $40. They do them all the time and guarantee their work.

PS:

PAY IT FORWARD..........................

If you or anyone else needs a new battery FREE....LMK and I'll send you one.

I bought a few as the high price shipping was the same for 1 or 100.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good deal and some may take you up on the offer.

I think the FT was possibly the best VHF-UHF rig ever made and am happy I bought one in 1987 and still have it. Other than replacing the battery and the meter pilot lamp, it's never had any service at all and still works perfectly after 28 years.

I checked its frequency calibration about a year ago, and after 28 years it's within 100 Hz. Close enough for me.:eek:

9. N5XES

N5XES Ham Member QRZ Page

i use the battery sockets from dead PC motherboards, just solder some pigtails to them long enough to allow you to place it in a convenient location, wrap it with tape or heat shrink to protect it!!!

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I really wish some one would come out with a rig comparable to the 736R. I have mine for VHF contests and love it. I need a 2nd one to put a 1296 module in, as i have 6,2,222 & 432 in mine. no way to put a 5th module in. I have the 1296 module but don't know if it works or not.
    To this date NO ONE has come out with a better rig (or one that does 222) (Except the Icom IC-375 which are unobtanium!)