Yaesu FT-736R Question? Is there a memory battery and if so... where is it located?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K0ATG, May 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

FOX-TANGO : Yaesu Radio Manual Repository (Thanks to Carol Maher)

FT-736R Technical Supplement
    http://www.foxtango.kc9foz.com/Eighties/FT-736R_Tech_supp.pdf

CONTROL BOARD : pages 18 and 20 (X-Ray views of PC board)
    The Battery (BT01) is shown (vertical mount) on
    the Component Side (obverse) of Control Board, near J12.
    The reverse side shows (+) and (-) solder points.

Parts List (Control Board) on Page 101.
    BAT001 - Q9000385 - Lithium Battery CR2032. No indication of solder tab (VCN), on parts listing.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have owned my FT-736R for about 15 years. I bought it used from an Icom dealer and as a part of the deal, the battery was replaced. That battery is still working today. As for the MD-1C8 microphone issue -- I also run that mic on my radio. Simple answer -- "plug and play".. All features are functional including the tone select feature on the bottom of the stand..

KM5FL

3. KB0TT

KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is it that I had a GUT feeling that ' The WIKster ' had THAT radio ? ?

I am truely flabbergasted !;):confused: Holy cow , Batman ! !

4. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

He has talked about the FT-736R often, so yes, a coincidence,

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I also wrote the Product Review of the rig for CQ magazine when I first bought it in '87. Been using it ever since.:eek:

6. K0ATG

K0ATG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information:)

I'm still confused about changing the battery?

Is it a HUGE deal to change? I would like to have my programed channels saved. This radio has been stored unused for years. Will leaving the radio plugged in overnight recharge the battery or should it just be changed out?

On the MD-1 C8 microphone scan function is there anything like a button that has to be set for the scan function to work? The scan function up/fast/down buttons on the base of the mic do nothing? The scan buttons on the radio work fine. I googled it and read the MD-1 C8 works with the 736, "but not all features".

Thanks,

Greg
    KJ4VXM

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

1980s design -- Not a rechargeable battery.

The Sony lithium battery that I changed, was original (late 1980s).
    That FT-736R had not been used in years, and battery was still functional.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to retain memories when changing the battery, that takes two batteries usually. Thankfully, they're cheap.

Clip one battery across the terminals before removing the old one; then install the new one, and unclip the temporary battery.

This is what auto shops do to retain memories and clock times etc. in automobiles when replacing the big car battery. You can keep memories and clocks alive with a very small 12V battery, just jumpered in while exchanging the big battery. Then, remove the temporary one and you've lost nothing. I've been doing that my whole life, since before radios had memories...just to keep the clock running or whatever it had.

The Yaesus may vary in materials, as they were manufactured for many years. Mine is really old, one of the earliest and it's from 1987 -- it had clips for the battery and no soldering was required. Newer ones may not have the clip contact and have to be soldered in, I really don't know.

Mine also came 'standard' with the 500 Hz CW filter, right out of the box and I didn't order that, it was standard. I know that became an 'option' later.

That rig is super easy to program if you remember what you had programmed. Push a button, turn the memory knob, push the same button again, done. Takes two seconds to program anything if you have the raw information to set the VFO and CTCSS tones, etc.

I do have an MD-1 and its up and down buttons work fine, but only for changing frequencies up and down; they do not start and stop the scan.

9. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Greg.... I don't know what to say. Maybe yours has a problem. I bought my MD-1C8 new at the time I bought the '736.. No mods, no "button to set", no special switch position --- nothing, just plug it in and talk.. Push and hold either the "up" or "down" button to start the scan, and PTT will stop the scan. With the "pause" button in the "in" position, the fast button doesn't work. With the "pause" button in the "out" position, the 'fast" button speeds up the scan rate... That's how mine works, YMMV

[edit] I will add this to the mix.. I have an MD-100A8X for my FT-920, and all features work with that radio.. It will PTT the 736, but none of the other functions work with that radio..

KM5FL

10. K0ATG

K0ATG Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a photo of my battery. It sure looks like it's soldered in to me? I really hate the thought of taking the board out and messing with a soldering iron. Damn!

SAM_1670.JPG

I just ordered a replacement from DigiKey and got a call from them about 10 minutes later. I had picked USPS 1st Class as the shipping option and they CAN'T and WON'T ship USPS.

FedEx shipping was almost $20!!!!!

I changed the order to quantity 10.

If anyone is interested in getting one and not paying $22.78 for 1, I will ship them in a Padded envelope for $5 each.

LMK,

Greg
    KJ4VXM