ad: vanity

Yaesu FT-736R Question? Is there a memory battery and if so... where is it located?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K0ATG, May 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K0ATG

K0ATG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just lucked out and found a low mileage mint FT-736R I couldn't pass up. It only has the original 2 band modules...but I'm really excited to have it.

Does the Yaesu 736R have a button battery for memory back up? And if so can someone provide a photo of where it's located? The article I was reading was about the 736 and the 767 and I don't know if they meant both have one or just the 767. I read that you could use a CR2032 as the original is hard to find.

I also have a question about the 736 and using a MD-1 C8 microphone. Is the scan up/down/fast function on the microphone functional with the 736? Is there something you have to set on the radio to get it to work?

I didn't get the manual with it but I downloaded one online and couldn't find answers for either question. I also found a FT736R A4 Technical supplement.

Is there any other supplements available?

Thanks for any replies,

Greg
    KJ4VXM

2. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Greg,

I hope you have the YAESU Operating Manual as there is a schematic in the back but no board numbers. This transceiver has a Back-Up Battery BT01 (CR2032) which connect between a SPDT switch and CR05 & Q46 to the IC Q07 HM6264LP on Pin # 28. I found all of the Manuals on dk.mods website http://www.mods.dk/manual.php?brand=yaesu You will be required to set up an account to download the manuals, 1 every four days or send a Credit Card Number for "X" amount of months ... your choice.

Dan
    WA9WVX

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have that Yaesu since it was new in '87 and it definitely does have a memory battery. When that goes bad, you lose all memories although the rig will still work in the VFO mode.

You have to drop the front panel to access it, but after that it's easy to replace.

4. K0ATG

Thanks Dan,

I was reading about the original battery being soldered in. Could that be correct? I was hoping if it had a battery it would be an easy job replacing. The manual I DLed has all the schematic pages in miniature and unreadable. They won't enlarge in my Adobe PDF viewer so they are useless.

I'm hoping someone will respond with a photo showing the battery location in the chassis.

I'll sign up for the site and get the manuals there.

Greg

KJ4VXM

5. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a better website for the YAESU FT-736 Operating and Service Manuals http://www.qsl.net/4/4x6on/RADIO MANUALS/YAESU/
    Dan
    WA9WVX

6. K0ATG

Thanks for the reply WB2WIK,

Any chance you have a photo of where it's located?

Does the battery get replaced like any other electronics that use them....just drop in a holder with a spring tab that holds it in or....?

What all is involved changing it out? Which battery should I use or doesn't it matter?

I was in the right place at the right time when this radio came along. This radio looks like it was never used and I don't want to screw it up over a battery.

All I have for an antenna on hand is a comet dual band magnetic for my HT and I was able to hit repeaters 45+ miles away...

I ordered a Diamond omni directional just to get going and can't wait to look into some yagis for satellites.

Greg

KJ4VXM

7. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

I replaced a Yaesu FT-736R battery and lamps, posted this information on QRZ (June 2013).
    ====
    Yaesu seems to have preferred Sony as their coin cell battery supplier in 1980s.
    Fortunately, Pansonic has an exact cross-reference.

The Yaesu FT-736R VHF/UHF transceiver used a Sony battery,
    BUT it is mounted vertically (solder tab mount) on the Front Panel/Display Board.
    Panasonic CR-2032/VCN
    image.jpg
    Digi-Key P660-ND works as replacement, for that radio. 14,000 in stock, $1.11 each !
    http://www.digikey.com/product-sear...ries-non-rechargeable-primary/394467?k=660-nd

====
    WY3A sells a suitable replacement lamp for Yaesu part #: BQ041-228038V 100 MA Lamp Fuse Bulb
    http://www.qsl.net/wy3a/Lamp_Fuse.htm

The Yaesu part number BQ041-22803 for these lamps, was discontinued long ago.
    The 757GXII owners manual specifies the part as an 8V 100 ma lamp fuse.
    While any low current, grain of wheat type lamp, from 6 to 8 volts, is a suitable replacement,
    its current rating must not exceed 100 mA.

WY3A found some grain of wheat 6.5V / 68mA bulbs that are just the right size (T1 size).

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The battery doesn't solder in.

It's easy to replace once you drop the front panel down.

The rig works fine without it, but if you turn the rig off you'll lose everything that's stored. If you store a bunch of stuff and just leave the rig turned on, and never shut it off, it won't.

It only draws about 20w or so in standby, so it's very possible to just leave it powered on all the time; however changing the battery isn't difficult. I have no photos of this as it never occurred to me to take any, but if you drop the front panel you'll see the battery, it's obvious.

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

It may have been a FT-736R production change by Yaesu, BUT it was a solder-tab model (no socket).
    You are correct, that dropping down the front panel is method to access the board.

FT-736R that I worked on (2013), had the original factory Sony battery.
    I took photo during that battery change, here is Top View.

10. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

REMOVE your TOP COVER, and you should be able to SEE battery (like photo below).

Top View of FT-736R, looking down on Control Board.
    You can see the Yellow insulation around replacement battery.

image.jpg

Digi-Key P660-ND -- CR-2032/VCN -- 14,000 in stock, $1.11 each
    http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...94467?k=660-nd

IF Pete, The Manual Man does not have a clean copy --
    I may have original FT-736R manual in files (I'll look Sunday).