ad: MyersEng-1

Yaesu FT-710 Field Setup

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WC0O, Oct 6, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WC0O

WC0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanted to share my video on the field setup for the FT-710. Now #4 in the Sherwood List.

KC9NKI, W0HY, K9EZ and 17 others like this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    WW8A, W0DN and AK5B like this.
  3. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

W0DN and AK5B like this.
  4. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

Other than AWWW AWWW I did not get much from the video, nice attempt though.

VK4HR, W9ANW and KL7KN like this.
  5. WC0O

WC0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that yawning I see.... You should get some sleep old men.

KG7GNI likes this.
  6. N4KRX

N4KRX Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice overview of your field set up and the Yaesu FT-710. Yaesu needed a radio to compete with the Icom IC-7300 in that price range and the FT-710 fits the bill. I have had a few IC-7300 rigs bouncing around and trying other rigs and I really like the IC-7300 a lot. I am now running a Yaesu FTDX10 and love it. What a great receiver! I am glad to see the button and knob layout on the FT-710 compared to the FTDX10. A definite improvement over the FTDX10. That is my only complaint with the FTDX10. I have compromised and use a stylus to operate as there is so little room between the controls for fingers to fit. 73!

K0TWA and N4GST like this.
  7. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I think THIS will be the new standard for entry level, radios, though I believe the 991A is a 'shack in a box' and MORE than adequate for MOST ops(it's a pleasure on Winlink to go from VARA HF to FM(for local RMS) on one radio with minima manipulation, but my old FT-857D does that too) as will MOST radios from 'The Big Three'. I'm old and after 60+ yrs in ham radio life it too short to fight with tiny Chinese SDR clones IMHO. I WOULD say though that I am perplexed as to why(other than an emergency message through tough conditions) someone would run 80W from a 12Ah battery for field use? I believe the 1.7A rcv draw a bit excessive for a field portable as well, though 30/40W will use much less Ah on transmit and be less than an S unit down. In fact I have found 20-25 for CW/Digital to work well even for Dx. Looks like a LOT of radio for the money. Remember there has been a lot of inflation in the economy so keep that in mind as well. I paid $1250 in 96 for my FT-900 and this would run rings around it, that price in today's dollars would be over 3K.

K3FHP

N4FZ, KA4VNM, KX6J and 2 others like this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I first saw this rig, I was quite pleased. Seeing this video, I noticed someting I hadn't noticed before: the buttons on the top side! Who in their right mind would design something like this???? I know the FT818 has it too, but that's a totally different rig. This is a "base" rig and it should not have buttons on top, IMO.

Oh, and one other think I hate, already since the FT991 saw the light of day: this terrible italic font used for frequency display. Yuck!

SV2HZF and PY2NEA like this.
  9. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After reading and watching different videos, my FTdx10 is staying put, not interested at all in this 710. As KX4UL said, I too use a stylus which is no big deal. The FTdx10 so far has the best receiver I ever used for digging out NDB's below 500Khz. Still use my TS590SG for CW though and always will.

Yeah, owned several 7300's to compare, don't own them anymore.

KD2BBC, W6ZD and N4KRX like this.
  10. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have nothing against Yaesu products , I own 3 rigs
    by that company but the Controls on top ...not for me.

fym

KD2BBC and W6ZD like this.
  11. W2JLD

I love the FTDX10 SO SO MUCH, that I HAD to have a second one...so 2 radio of this type are better than one...

KD2BBC, W6ZD and K9TDW like this.
  12. W1VAW

W1VAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally a radio that works with my Oticon hearing aids . I love the audio and the control Yaesu provide in the 710. this is a 4.0 radio.
    W1VAW

N5ZV and N3XG like this.
  13. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest skipping the first 17.45 mins of this video.
    Meh

K0UO, K0TWA, W6ZZW and 1 other person like this.
  14. W2JLD

Already someone bought one on qrz and had it 1 week and decides to sell it....well that means he voided the warranty on the radio and the sucker whom buys it will not have any assurance if something goes wrong with it...........................

K0UO likes this.
  15. K0BZ

K0BZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. Thanks especially for an intro to the Bioenno line of portable power products. I was not previously aware of them.

KX6J likes this.