Yaesu FT-70DR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KO4ELN, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KO4ELN

KO4ELN Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m totally new to ham radio with little to no knowledge about ham radios ,equipment etc. I’m considering a Yaesu FT-70DR as my first radio. I would appreciate any input,comments,pros,cons etc. I just recently passed my technician class license and will start studying for by general class test as soon as I get my cataracts removed in July.

Kindest Regards

Mike

2. KD9IQO

KD9IQO Ham Member QRZ Page

I own 5 Yaesu System Fusion / Wires-X transceivers including the FT-70DR. I carry the FT-70 with me most of the time. It has great digital audio. It will perform all the customary functions of a standard HT as well. Here it comes......be prepared to study, experiment, and attend lectures to understand its higher-level digital functions. You will be able to access System Fusion repeaters & private nodes. You will also be able to control those repeaters to reach just about any spot on Earth! Just be prepared to invest some time to understand the digital aspects of this fine little HT. It is common knowledge that the FT-70 battery only serves about 8 hours of constant use. So, buy an extra battery. You can contact me in the CQ-Louisville room (21014) when you learn to use your new equipment. Good Luck

3. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my FT70, but you may find that an HT is the least useful type of rig to get

I use my HF gear the most

dual band mobile in the vehicle or home is used less

HT is rarely used

4. VE3TMT

VE3TMT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an FT-70D and I really like it. The audio is plenty loud for an HT. I also have the FTM-7250, which is used in the house only. I would highly recommend it for a base station over the FT-70D.

5. KD9IQO

KD9IQO Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentle Readers:
    I run the FT991A and the FTM100DR as base radios. Surprisingly, it is the inexpensive FTM-100DR that I use the most. The FTM-100DR is one of Yaesu's NODE radios. The FTM-991A doesn't have NODE functionality. With NODE functionality the user can connect (via USB) the transceiver to the Internet. Once connected, the transceiver can connect to any Yaesu WIRES-X repeater or node station WITHOUT AN ANTENNA! This means you are not dependent on the ionosphere for DX. This connectivity is Worldwide. So, if you want true WIRES-X capability, consider one of the following: FTM-100DR, FTM-400XDR, FTM-300DR Some of the HT's can function as NODE radios as well but, it gets really involved with cabling.

Also consider purchasing the Yaesu SMB-201 external (fan) cooling system. People don't know what they like...........they like what they know.

Regards, de...KD9IQO

6. KO4ELN

KO4ELN Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentleman:
    Many thanks for your comments and recommendations.

Kindest Regards
    Mike KO4ELN