Yaesu FT-70DR WIRES-X help needed

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W9JYD, Jun 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W9JYD

W9JYD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is confusing. I have a Yaesu FT-70DR and I found a WIRES-X node (KC5QIH) in my new QTH of Waco, Texas... But the manual is basically vague... And I have tried Googling for my answer (and that proved futile... No, Google... I don't want to buy a new HT... Give me the answer!), but I hit the PTT...

Nothing. I am at a loss here. I even posted my question to my Twitter

https://twitter.com/W9JYD/status/1270449677088043013?s=19

And no replies yet.

I'm utterly confused here. I would be grateful for the help I receive.

It works on other FM repeaters but WIRES-X/C4FM is a PITA to get right on this HT.

73s in advance.

2. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Make sure that you program the channel for the repeater frequency to be in AMS mode. Then press FUNCTION button and then the AMS button. This should get you in Wires-X mode on the repeater if it is enabled. See pages 30 through 33 in the FT-70 manual.
    There are additional manuals on the Yaesu website dealing with Wires-X operation. Also Google "Wires-X Bible"

3. W9JYD

W9JYD Ham Member QRZ Page

WB8NQW... I tried that... just blinks "WIRES" for about a minute... then beeps and nothing.

I am able to hear others on this node but they can't hear me....

So confusing.

4. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

The repeater owner can control if Wires-X mode is on or not. Or sometimes when Windows does an auto update the Wires-X PC at the repeater may lock up. This requires manual intervention at the computer. The C4FM still works but Wires-X may not.

5. NI0W

NI0W Ham Member QRZ Page

Download the advanced user manual from the Yaesu website, much better instructions. I printed one out so I can always have a reference. Good Luck and hope to hear you on WIRES X.