Yaesu FT-70DR Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2MTB

N2MTB Ham Member QRZ Page

My battery lasts throughout my 8 shift at work. .....set the battery saver option,goofs.

W2MIX likes this.
  2. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly! The setting 0.6 (not o.06) to 0.8s is good setting for acceptable battery lasting.
    73 - Petr, OK1RP

W2MIX likes this.
  3. W2MIX

W2MIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I stand corrected, 0.6 is correct. Thanks! It's a great low cost feature packed radio and has a useful place with my 3-FTM400's, HRI-200 and FT2DR (especially with the new PDN firmware).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    N2MTB likes this.
  4. KD4BEE

KD4BEE Ham Member QRZ Page

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    Petr,
    I read your comment about the inability or impossibility to charge while the radio is on so I did some testing because that was a big issue for me. I ran the battery down (didn't take long) and left it on while plugging in the charger. Low and behold, after a little while, it was fully charged! So, I'm happy about that. Overall for the price that I paid while it was on sale, I'm very happy with it.
    73 de KD4BEE

5. CX3BZ

CX3BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to program the memories in this handheld in order to work crossband satellite frequencies.

I have found the instruction for split function.
    I've learned that it has 2 memory modes, cross band and offset, offset mode does not work for cross band, you must use cross band memory mode.

The issue is I can't find the memory mode instructions or procedure to enter the required frequencies.

Thanks in advance
    CX3BZ

6. KI5JIZ

KI5JIZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a new Ham. Awaiting an icom-7300 I am setting up but I am trying to use a Yaesu FT-70D with an upgraded Diamond SRH320A antenna. I can hear only when in digital mode. I am on the Texas Nexxus (DN) repeater. I can hear perfectly but people can rarely hear me and most of the time it is too jumbled to have a conversation. Suggestions?

7. W2MIX

W2MIX Ham Member QRZ Page

It might be that you are not reaching the repeater. You will typically hear much further than you can xmit with a HT mounted antenna, not sure how far away you are from it. That's the good and bad about digital, it's all or nothing receive with no popcorn in between. I too have that same radio and antenna, but I have found the Diamond SRH77CA to be superior.

8. KI5JIZ

KI5JIZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks W2MIX. I will check out that antenna. Good information. I figured I was either doing something wrong or might not be reaching it. I was hoping to be able to do Function-AMS to have it auto join Wires-x but there is not one it can find. Which is odd because I was told I had one 1.5 miles away.

W2MIX likes this.