Yaesu FT-70DR Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6KZB

N6KZB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Took mine back. Battery life way too short. My Ft2D is better.

Adios

G3SEA likes this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI PASCAL,
    THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE
    TIME TO PROVIDE US WITH
    YOUR FT-70DR REVIEW.

GREAT JOB.......BRAVO......

THERE ARE A LOT OF FOLKS WHO HAVE
    BROUGHT TO OUR ATTENTION SOME OF
    THE SHORT COMINGS OF THE UNIT.
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO BE ABLE
    TO READ ALL THE FACTS ON A PRODUCT.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO PROVIDE US WITH YOUR
    REVIEWS.

73 AND THREE CHEERS FOR SANTA
    birdiewave[1].gif
    santa down the chimney.gif
    reindeer-santa-dancing-1.gif
    Santa and animated reindeer.gif
    product review of ft 70dr.jpg
    MARRY CHRISTMAS IN FRENCE.jpg

VA2PV likes this.
  3. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

A fine radio except for that poor battery charge problem.
    I have heard several hams complain about it. Maybe there was a quality control
    glitch in a batch.
    Very little Fusion activity in Hawaii. Mainly DMR and D Star plus full quieting
    Analog FM

Mele Kalikimaka !

G3SEA/KH6

4. VA2PV

VA2PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here’s a few more information, well my point of view. Yes, the battery is an 1800 mAh, that is way less then some of my DMR radios. The battery on my side lasted about 6 hours in standby and doing some test, with the keypad light always on. I guess if you are a very active ham a second battery need to be considered. Yes, the volume adjustment is kind of a pain, but no radio is perfect. The audio output is OK for me. I think this radio is perfect to use with a hotspot, locally in your shack, like I do. I always put it back on the charger when not in use. At the end of the day we have to recognize Yaesu's effort in bringing to us a low cost C4FM radio. 73 Pascal VA2PV

K8XG likes this.
  5. VA2PV

Merci Joyeux Noel également! 73

6. VA2PV

Hi Jason, me too I wanted to download the list but I wasn't able to do it. The only way I could find was with the 5 recall memory when connected in Wires-X. 73 Pascal VA2PV

7. W3BAY

W3BAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Press Function then the AMS button. Then you can use the knob on top to see what room is connected and to change the room (if you have some favorites stored).

8. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a nice little radio, I’ve had mine for about 6 months. It is easy to program without the software and battery life is bordering unacceptable but it’s usable. You’ll probably make it about 6 hours or so on one battery. Not the typical battery life that most of us are used to with other HT’s

If you’re thinking of buying one of these be sure to buy a second battery or your going to be disappointed. Sound quality on receive is very good with nice full sounding audio.

G3SEA likes this.
  9. N5INP

N5INP Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree. I bought the radio knowing that the volume control had to have a button pressed on the side before it would work, but now I hate that "feature" it with a passion. I would have at least thought that the menu would give an option for allowing the user to change the knob functionality, but no. Very bad software design on that issue.

Also, the battery life is terrible - no, resetting it isn't the problem. The problem is the radio uses too much power even when not transmitting, probably due to the many times the LEDs light up and a poor choice of minimal battery amp-hours. I would never take it anywhere and expect it to last very long, without several extra batteries. It now sits on the kitchen table so I can listen to the local C4FM digital repeater, and within close reach of the recharger.

Do not recommend! :mad:

KD9VV likes this.
  10. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct!
    After I purchased the radio I read many similar complaints.
    Reset etc does not cure it and it is not a defective unit. Everyone I talk to who owns the FT 70dr is experiencing the same issue.
    I've had the rig a little over a yr which probably precludes Yaesu or the vendor I purchesed from accepting a return.